Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spot -Stuck in "Searching for Networks", can't enter network information...

Squiddly

New Echo owner here, I returned home full of excitement and optimism, looking forward to seeing the cool things the Echo Spot can do. I got a Philips Hue kit as well so I can do the whole star trek "computer, lights!" thing  8).

Except for whatever reason, for the past few hours I've been stuck at the Searching for networks screen.

Pressing the orange button just gives me an orange ring around the "searching for networks" text but otherwise does nothing, swiping and pressing the screen does nothing, and I am unable to alter or affect any of the settings.

Occasionally, the screen cuts back to the default clock face with two little icons, one telling me it's awaiting instructions, the other telling me there is no wifi.

I have - once - been able to go from this screen to a screen where I can put in the wifi settings manually, but I was talking to amazon customer service as it happened and I've not been able to get back to that screen since.
What normally happens the instant I touch the screen is that the device goes back to the "Searching for networks" screen for another 30 seconds.

It's immensely frustrating. I've had the thing for 4 hours and mostly I've been staring at the "searching for networks" screen. :(.

Any ideas? :)

PS: I've reset the device half a dozen times, it asks me for my chosen language and then goes straight to the "searching for networks" screen.

Offline jwlv

Did you get the Alexa app for your smartphone? You need to use it in order to set up any Echo device.

Squiddly

I did get the alexa app for my phone. It gave me the option to go through initial setup on four Echo products, none of which were the Spot.

I ended up speaking to Amazon in the end, they're sending me out a new one.