Echo & Alexa Forums

Nest integrates with Amazon Echo

dasadab

Re: Nest integrates with Amazon Echo
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 12:25:08 am »
Another Nest question:  If I can't turn the thermostat off via my Echo, maybe the Nest integration is a bust.  Say you want to open a window and turn the Nest off. 

dasadab

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 03:09:26 pm »
I was also thinking that it might be worth it to get a Samsung Smartthings HUB and some of the multi sensors.  They can apparently detect when a window or door is opened and shut off the HVAC--I think?  Hopefully, they can reset the thermostat to auto cool/heat once the windows or doors are shut.  Anyway, I might look into this solution because it would automate the thermostat usage. 

vegasguy

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 06:36:54 pm »
All Samsung Smartthings devices are 20% off currently on Amazon. I just ordered the kit with the hub, 2 multi sensors, 1 motion sensor, and 1 outlet for $200 (was $250). You can get just the hub for $79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasadab

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:27 pm »
Cool on the price reduction. But, I could not find any confirmation that the Smart Things hub would work with the Nest.  The Honeywell thermostat is listed as supported. 

fstbusa

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 11:11:24 am »
Smarthings DOES indeed work with a nest... but its not officially supported.  Its works with a user/developer created device handler.  I've been using it for 6 months and works great.  The only reason I was using it was because I was then able to use a special smartapp within smartthings to use the Echo to control the nest. 

Now that the nest is officially supported by the Echo, I really have no need for the Smartthings integration anymore.

dasadab

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 04:27:38 pm »
But...Nest integration only includes increasing temp/decreasing temp.  No fan.  No on/off.  No switching modes...heat, cool, auto heat/cool. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 06:54:48 pm »
But...Nest integration only includes increasing temp/decreasing temp.  No fan.  No on/off.  No switching modes...heat, cool, auto heat/cool.

Using Smartthings, is it possible to add more functionality, such as turning on/off the fan and turning off the Nest completely (no heat or A/C).  IFTTT can turn on the fan, so I assume there would be a way for Smartthings to do this as well. Btw, I'm getting my Smartthings kit tomorrow. :)

dasadab

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 08:52:47 pm »
Thanks.  I would love to get your feedback on the Smartthings integration once you get it going.  It would be great to add the above functionality noted above, and window and door sensors that suspend HVAC when a window or door is opened.  That would be the holy grail. 

DParker

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:27 pm »
In addition to getting info here, consider establishing an account with the SmartThings Community forum reading what Nest owners there are doing.  It's really is the ultimat ST information resource.

https://community.smartthings.com