Echo & Alexa Forums

Nest integrates with Amazon Echo

Offline jwlv

Nest integrates with Amazon Echo
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »
https://nest.com/blog/2016/03/03/nest-and-alexa-working-together/

Just announced today, Echo and Nest will be able to work together without the use of a skill or an IFTTT workaround.
According to Nest, this should be available in a few weeks.

Re: Nest integrates with Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »
Honeywell thermostats should work by the end of the month too  :-)

chokanson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 01:25:22 pm »

RhondaSea

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:29:57 am »
Direct integration with Nest is finally here! I just noticed it in the Alexa app, under Smart Home > Device Links.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:13:19 pm »
Oh Sweet!!! Ever since I heard the announcement from Nest a few weeks ago, I've been checking the Alexa app almost everyday to see if they've added it. 
So excited! :) :) :)

DParker

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »
...so I connected my NEST...

And by "connected", do you mean that you entered the "Smart Home" section of the Echo app, selected the "Link with Nest" option authorized Alexa to access your Nest account?

vegasguy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »
MikeNY, in the examples Amazon provided, it would only work if your Nest thermostat is named "home" and "upstairs".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegasguy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »
Jwlv posted in another thread that Nest has a restriction of 10 commands per hour.  Once you've reached this limit, all commands will be rejected.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »
My NEST dropped off my network when connected to Echo.. I rebooted router and disconnected from Echo to get it back.

So... did any of you get this to work??

Please talk to me like I'm four with detailed instructions on EXACTLY what you did to get it to work... I've done this twice now with the same results. So for now I'm sticking to IFTTT even though it's unstable.

any chance you are using the wrong nest password on the echo?

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 05:38:40 pm »
Jwlv posted in another thread that Nest has a restriction of 10 commands per hour.  Once you've reached this limit, all commands will be rejected.

I wonder how they calcuate the hour :-)

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
Password is only used when linking to NEST...

The instructions are: Link to NEST from Alexa app... this worked fine.
Then it tells me to go back to the Alexa app and run discovery. Initially it was discovered (this is where it dropped off my network) but now Alexa won't discover it at all. Only discovers my other items.

If I'm not nuts.. I think this needs work.

I've sent an Email to NEST and Amazon about this asking for help. If NEST is up to their usual turn around I won't hear anything from them for a week. Amazon will probably respond shortly. I'll see what's up then. As for now... It don't aworka (for me anyway) ..

I don't see anyone else here saying they got it to work so I wonder if others are having trouble.

I see in other forums where others do have it working.   one such thread

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_oldest?_encoding=UTF8&authToken=&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=Tx20BQ8KTGP9S3Z

Reason I thought passward is since the echo was actively trying to access nest, if the password was wrong, it would drop off but I guess the possible easy fix went out the window. 

RhondaSea

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:07:00 pm »
I got my Nest working. I'm not sure if I needed to, but I renamed my Nest to "thermostat" and then had Alexa discover new devices (after I linked Alexa to my Nest account). I can interact with the Nest by saying: "Turn the thermostat up (or down)" and "Set the thermostat to [xx]". I still use IFTTT to turn on the fan ("Trigger fan on.")

Offline jwlv

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 11:20:51 pm »
For those who are having difficulties with Nest and Echo integration, you might want to check where you are setting the name of your Nest Thermostat. There are a number of names, labels, and locations you can set, but Echo only uses one of those.

Here's how to set the name:

Login at Nest.com
You should see a large house icon with the name of your thermostat in large print and the name of your location right below it in smaller print.  This is what mine looks like after logging in. Click the gears icon in the upper right corner to go to the settings area.

Here is my settings screen:

At the bottom of the page is the name of my thermostat (it is named HOME).

Click on the name of your thermostat and you can change some of it settings:

Click Where and you'll see two items: Where and Label:

I left the label blank. If yours isn't blank, you might want to consider changing it to blank. Click Where again and you can set the name of the thermostat.

There are several pre-defined names. But I wanted to call mine "HOME" so I typed HOME in the custom field at the bottom.

There may be other ways for the Echo to get the name of your Nest. But the way I just described works perfectly for my equipment, which is comprised of 3 Echoes, 1 Nest thermostat, and over a dozen Wemo devices.

To control my Nest thermostat, I would something say like, "Alexa, set HOME to 75 degrees."
Or "Alexa, increase HOME temperature."

Remember, if you change the name of your Nest, you have to tell Alexa to discover your devices, otherwise she won't know that anything has changed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:28:42 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:59 am »
I finally figured this out. This may seem easy to all you younger folks but us geezers have trouble figuring some of this out.

I finally can simply say: "Alexa, set the thermostat to xx", and while all the documentation talks of Fahrenheit only, I have it working in Centigrade. (after living in the middle east for years before coming home I became very used to Metric and can't understand why others don't adopt; it's so much easier) but anyway I used metric now for everything thus Centigrade (Celsius).

Thanks to all for the suggestions...

I doubt the young'ums would have guessed that solution either.   Glad you got it working. 

dasadab

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 12:07:37 am »
Is there a command to turn on the fan component of my heating/airconditioning system?  I just installed the Nest and set the setting to auto heat/cool.  I like to run the fan sometimes in lieu of ac or heating of sometimes I like to run the fan all the time even if the heat or cooling has temporarily cycled to off. 

Thanks