Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

UK News Supplier

UK News Supplier
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:47:13 am »
My Echo Show hasn't said a word yet about the attacks on Syrian Chemical facilities. I think the current news provider is the BBC; if I activate a skill from another news provider will it automatically be used for the news popups that appear on screen or will I have to keep asking it for a flash briefing?

Re: UK News Supplier
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:22:24 am »
I thought it probably took headlines from Bing which is its default search engine. Be interested to hear where these snippets do come from if not.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:30:01 am »
That's interesting, presumably not possible to change default search provider either?

Offline AlanH

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 01:06:02 pm »
Try the Sky News skill - I prefer it to the BBC News.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the query is about the headlines that appear on the Echo Show. These don't seem to be related to a skill at all, or at least they're not attributed to one, so I'm guessing it's Bing or maybe MSN. I have several news outlet skills activated but they only come up via flash briefing.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
That's interesting, presumably not possible to change default search provider either?

I wish! Naturally, Google isn't likely to be an option!

Offline AlanH

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the query is about the headlines that appear on the Echo Show. These don't seem to be related to a skill at all, or at least they're not attributed to one, so I'm guessing it's Bing or maybe MSN. I have several news outlet skills activated but they only come up via flash briefing.
Yes, I got that, but thought it might be worth trying Sky News,  but from what you say, news headlines are pulled in from a different source to news skills.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
Yes, I got that, but thought it might be worth trying Sky News,  but from what you say, news headlines are pulled in from a different source to news skills.
I think so but actually I've never really thought about it until now. Got me thinking now though!