Echo & Alexa Forums

Just ordered two Dot's

Floridadomer

Just ordered two Dot's
« on: March 03, 2016, 03:35:13 pm »
Hopefully it will work as advertised. Anyone else order either the Dot or Tap? 

Re: Just ordered two Dot's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:52:36 pm »
me ordered one  :-)  cannot wait to have full apartment coverage  :-)

rsava

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:04 pm »
@renegade600 - Why do you say "full apartment coverage".
I did not read that you could sync the Echos together, so are you just talking about having them around the house?

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
@renegade600 - Why do you say "full apartment coverage".
I did not read that you could sync the Echos together, so are you just talking about having them around the house?

so I can use the echo no matter what room or corner I am in :-)

rsava

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

so I can use the echo no matter what room or corner I am in :-)

Got it. Yes, that is what I am using my two for. Bummer that you can only order two.
I also ordered the Tap, hopefully that will be a nice little unit for out by the pool in the summer. The specs make it seem like it should be good for the family pool, at a decent price point. If not then I guess I will fall back on my ChromeCast Audios.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:40 pm »
I just ordered an Echo Dot, even though I already have three Echoes in the house.
I prefer voice activation rather than having to press a button on the Amazon Tap (why didn't they call it Echo Tap?) From the pictures, the Echo Dot uses a micro USB power connector. I figure I can use one of my cell phone power banks to make it portable. My only concern right now is the speaker. Being so small, I wonder how it will sound and how loud it can go. If the built-in speaker is really weak, I suppose I can connect a good Bluetooth speaker and also power it with the power bank.

In case you're wondering, I have two of these Aibocn power banks that I got from Amazon almost a year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Aibocn-10000mAh-External-Flashlight-Smartphone/dp/B00VWV8LD4

Btw, my estimated delivery date is 3/31. Is anyone else getting theirs sooner?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:02:02 am by jwlv »

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 05:00:10 am »
I just ordered an Echo Dot, even though I already have three Echoes in the house.
I prefer voice activation rather than having to press a button on the Amazon Tap (why didn't they call it Echo Tap?) From the pictures, the Echo Dot uses a micro USB power connector. I figure I can use one of my cell phone power banks to make it portable. My only concern right now is the speaker. Being so small, I wonder how it will sound and how loud it can go. If the built-in speaker is really weak, I suppose I can connect a good Bluetooth speaker and also power it with the power bank.

In case you're wondering, I have two of these Aibocn power banks that I got from Amazon almost a year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Aibocn-10000mAh-External-Flashlight-Smartphone/dp/B00VWV8LD4

Btw, my estimated delivery date is 3/31. Is anyone else getting theirs sooner?

I read that the speaker will be generally like those on smartphones, so be prepare to use bt speakers.  As far as the delivery date, hopefully it will be sooner. 

CassarJ

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 08:07:57 am »
preordered a dot as well :)

linuxman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 08:17:25 am »
Yep, preordered two as well.   3/31 was the release date mentioned when I ordered.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:19:32 am by linuxman »

Doc O Rock

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:44 am »
I also ordered 2 dots and a tap. Maybe this will be the solution I have been looking for. I was thinking of getting a Sonos, but Echo and Sonos don't seem to integrate.

chadbaldwin

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »
Ordered mine! Just ordered one for now, as I'm not sure if I want to have two full size Echo's and a Dot, or two Dot's and my existing Echo. Plan to have an Echo in the Bedroom, and a Dot in the Kitchen, and haven't decided if I want a Dot or an Echo in the Garage depending on if I want to use the built in speaker, or my own system. Very excited to see how well it works.

Good timing too, was just about to order another Echo for $180, but was waiting cause I didn't want to spend the money. With the addition of the Audio out jack, that's a HUGE win for me.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:14 pm »
OK, my turn to tell everyone I ordered two little Dotties, as well (too bad we can't name its wake word "Dottie"). Ordered it mostly because it actually transmits ("connects to BT speakers"),  AND it has audio out (maybe it is a headphone jack as well?)  First Dot will go in family room and audio out will be plugged into where the iPod audio out has been plugged in to stereo for many years.  I just can't wait to hear Alexa's voice in glorious hi-fi stereo -- Dolby stereo, at that!. Hopefully, all audio (in addition to music) will go into stereo, and Alexa comments do not just emit from the microscopic speaker that likely will sound like the first small transistor radio I got for Xmas at age 10.

So, Echo in living room, Dot on stereo in family room, so where to put second dot: How about in the upstairs master bedroom so we can stop yelling downstairs to Echo from upstairs? (It will be a hard habit to break).  It will also be the mobile "utility" Dot, for any room we may want it in for any reason.

But, there is also the new Tap; there must be a good reason for us to give more money to Amazon for their new BATTERY powered, Bluetooth enabled mini boombox made to put Bose mini, mini Jambox, and the rest of the mini BT boxes out to pasture.  Of course there is.  Just because we WANT one sounds like a good reason!  Actually, I see having great fun on summer car vacations where we can have Alexa and her skills with us at the beach, a room at hotel, etc. and other non-home locations. Guess we will let Tap tag-along if we fly as well, and just leave BT speaker at home. Of course, the patio and backyard locations are a no-brainer.  All we need to do when traveling is change the Wi-Fi setting, and if free xfinitywifi is close by, another no-brainer.

Then, there are B-day gifts coming up around here at end of March (how convenient).  We gave daughter and family an Echo for house-warming gift early past fall.  It is kept in kitchen, so she gets a Tap (on her B-day) for master bedroom, for all the good reasons mentioned. (If she also wants a Dot, she can spring for that herself!)

Lastly, a while ago I predicted here that the new Echo Battery Boot would drop way down in price once Amazon had a battery-powered device.  So, watch the sale rack for Battery Boots to be closed-out soon!

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 02:45:00 am »
OK, my turn to tell everyone I ordered two little Dotties, as well (too bad we can't name its wake word "Dottie").

would not be surprised if dot and tap become wakeup words. 

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 03:04:56 am »
Agree, although it is about time Amazon allowed any word to be a wake word. How? easy.  In Settings, link one's own wake word to any of the current ones, So when I say "Dottie", the Echo device knows to substitute it for  "Alexa".
I really don't think this would be a programmer's nightmare to do.  Com'on Amazon, be helpful. 

I'd love it for when certain guests come over, see the Echo, and start asking Alexa stupid obnoxious questions, but it won't work, and I'll just say, "Sorry, it's broken; let's have a beer instead".

Jean D

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:54 am »
Agree, although it is about time Amazon allowed any word to be a wake word. How? easy.  In Settings, link one's own wake word to any of the current ones, So when I say "Dottie", the Echo device knows to substitute it for  "Alexa".
I really don't think this would be a programmer's nightmare to do.  Com'on Amazon, be helpful. 

I'd love it for when certain guests come over, see the Echo, and start asking Alexa stupid obnoxious questions, but it won't work, and I'll just say, "Sorry, it's broken; let's have a beer instead".

Alexa is a Brand. Much like Siri. They are trying to grow the brand, I doubt they will want anyone to call it anything else.