Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot is driving me mad

Mike R

Echo Dot is driving me mad
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:28 am »
Hi All

My Echo Dot will be the death of me!!  I look at Bluetooth settings on my PC and it cannot see my Echo Dot listed BUT if I ask what my next appointment is, it correctly reads my calendar?  I ask it to play a named Spotify playlist and she tells me that she cannot find the named playlist BUT when I start a track on a playlist it plays on my Echo Dot and I look at the bottom of the Spotify screen it tells me that I am listening on my Echo Dot.  As the track ends it automatically goes to the next track which I assume is the Spotify commands from my PC.  When asked to play Spotify it says it will resume Spotify and plays Music.  It does change radio stations on command so I appear to have paid c£50 to save changing the radio with the remote.  I am getting very frustrated with this.  Any ideas anyone?
 :'(

dragon123

Re: Echo Dot is driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:15:11 pm »
I look at Bluetooth settings on my PC and it cannot see my Echo Dot listed BUT if I ask what my next appointment is, it correctly reads my calendar?

The first statement as nothing to do with the second... Your dot is on your wifi, your computer has nothing to do with that.
So I'm failing to see any issue here?

If you have spotify premium, your pc is not needed to listen to spotify on the dot, however spotify knows you are, as evidenced on the website. You can turn off your pc and still use spotify on the dot. Or access your calender. Or control any home automation you may have. Or ask Alexa questions etc etc.

If all you want is to control spotify using your computer, a simple bt speaker would suffice. What you bought is way more of a stand-alone system and I'm thinking you don't get that..?

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:37:41 am »
dragon123.  Thanks for that - you are right, I wrongly thought that my ED was (or should) be connected to my PC.  I do have Spotify Premium but my ED does not find my Playlists?  Is it a command error or is there some way of making them visible to the ED that I am missing.  Your help is much appreciated.

dragon123

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:51:33 am »
Have you tried looking on this forum/googling for the specific commands to play a spotify playlist? It's a bit finicky apparently, and occasionally there are issues regardless I think I've read somewhere.

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:19 am »
In Settings > Music & Media, have you set Default Music Services?

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:42 am »
Hi

Thanks guys I am going through some old threads on it now. :-)

Mike