Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Use Without Internet

ChiroVette

Re: Alexa Use Without Internet
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:19 pm »
AWS so local control(none internet control) is not possible currently.

I am aware it isn't possible now, but as Alexa and Google Home evolve, I am sure that a ton of stuff is going to become possible over the next few months and years, not just home automation without Internet. I believe its just a matter of time, particularly since the two big platforms are becoming mainstream and popularized, and Apple will soon be as well, knowing their marketing and R&D. I think that people who say it won't happen may be forgetting just how insanely fast things move in the current tech age. And all that has to happen is one of the three has to do it, and the others will follow suit.

I was aware of some home automation before Alexa, but I never got involved with any of it. Good information, though.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 02:22:41 pm »
Actually Microsoft has/had a very good Voice recognition software engine included in Windows.
It wasn't until they got into the Phone market and Window 8 that they moved to Cloud based Voice recognition with Cortana.
Microsoft and Amazon were to work together merging Alexa and Cortana capabilities but that seems to have been put on the back burner for now.
If they get back to working together we may see some sort of combined online/offline voice recognition as a result.
Current voice assistant devices won't be able to do Off line recognition, they just don't have the processing power yet that the cloud provides.

ChiroVette

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 08:23:19 pm »
Actually Microsoft has/had a very good Voice recognition software engine included in Windows.
It wasn't until they got into the Phone market and Window 8 that they moved to Cloud based Voice recognition with Cortana.
Microsoft and Amazon were to work together merging Alexa and Cortana capabilities but that seems to have been put on the back burner for now.
If they get back to working together we may see some sort of combined online/offline voice recognition as a result.
Current voice assistant devices won't be able to do Off line recognition, they just don't have the processing power yet that the cloud provides.

I wasn't aware of MS's work in this area, nor their potential merge of Cortana with Alexa. I would also agree with you about the current devices, like the Echo and Echo Dot, not being able to handle offline recognition. I am pretty much assuming that it would be the next generation of these devices (whether Google, Amazon, Apple, etc.) that would have to be purchased when they come out.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:34:29 pm »
Microsoft has their own version of the Amazon "Echo"  they look very similar, and last week I saw it at the Microsoft Store.  It came out in Dec and it was on sale for half price ($99) this past week.  I was told they have integrated Cortana with Alexa, but since I could have cared less, I didn't ask how.  I don't even remember the name of their Echo knock-off. 
I use Windows OS, but as for how the rest of Microsoft gadgets go, they ALL have been failures except for the XBOX.  It's disappointing they are so incapable at innovation anymore; and I live in the heart of Microsoft and Amazon country.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 09:47:33 pm »

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:24 pm »
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

ChiroVette

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 10:30:02 am »
Here... check this one out - A startup that is going to do what you want...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mixtile-upgrade-to-secure-smart-home-in-5-minutes?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=32dsa.fnd.to#/

Wow I didn't even know about Mixtile. Good read and great info, thanks!

asianrocker

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »
I guess I'm one of the ultimate geeks! ::)

LOL, I actually was specifically referring to you. Never heard of x10 either. I just read all your posts here about it.