Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo using HUGE amount of bandwidth daily :(

Leagigi

Echo using HUGE amount of bandwidth daily :(
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:26:35 pm »
I’ve been monitoring my Echo bandwidth daily for 3 days in a row now. First day showed increase of 2.2 gig....2nd day, 2.4 gig and now the third day of 3.4 gig...
I wrote to Amazon support and they just said to increase my monthly internet usage...
WHAT?
This is no solution.
I have only used the Echo for 4 hours each day ( to compare apples to apples ) for those 3 days....no Netflix , not downloading music, no nada...
Any solutions to this as this is crazy !!!!!

strayfish

Re: Echo using HUGE amount of bandwidth daily :(
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:58:08 pm »
I don't understand what you're doing or what you mean by 'using' your device for only four hours a day. If it's plugged in, it's on but it's only listening, it's not accessing anything that would take bandwidth. It also doesn't download as such (if anyone's getting Netflix on their devices, I haven't heard of it), but it does stream music and podcasts and the like from e.g. Amazon or Spotify, and you can access radio stations from almost anywhere. Could you say a bit more about what it is you're using your device for, and what 'using for four hours' means then people who know more than I do might be able to help.

Leagigi

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
Sorry ...my bad...
The Echo is plugged in for 24 hours a day, but I only listen to Tunein radio for 4 hours a day, max... what I mean about Netflix is I don’t have it. My usual consumption before I plugged in the Echo was 22 gigs a month of my allotted bandwidth. At this rate of 2.2, 2.4 and 3.7 for a total of a bit over 8 gigs in 3 days, I will be over my highest monthly consumption ever ,in 9 days.
This is crazy!

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:27:13 am »
Hm, how long have you been using an Alexa device - is this a new development from a device that hasn't been problematic before? Is it a new device that's maybe pulling in a lot of updates? Have you unplugged it and monitored your usage again over an equivalent time period (same days/same people at home etc)? Backup question - is your router secure or is there a chance someone's freeloading on it? I recall someone else coming here with a similar problem, I don't know if you can find it and I can't remember what the solution was, but it was a fault somewhere (device or router or some such), not an actual feature of the Alexa service itself. I've had mine too long (and too many of them!) to be of any help with what's normal, and I do have Netflix and Prime and other stuff likely to up my usage.

Leagigi

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 09:41:59 am »
Hi Strayfish...
Firstly, I want to thank you for replying to my plea for help :)...
It is a new device, just bought it last week....I did unplug it yesterday to check consumption of bandwidth while I was away from the house. It is back to normal usage of .57 gigs or so.
The internet here is Bell Fibe and a secure network. I have ordered a new Echo online as it was offered at 30.00 less so will return the existing one when the other gets here in case it was faulty in some way.
I’ll post again one way or the other in case others have the same issue.
Have a good, good day !

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:01:42 am »
Good plan, I think. Let them know though because, given your unplugged result, it sounds as though your first device was faulty and they should refund or replace. Course if the new one starts chewing up bandwidth too, you might be advised to check your loft-space for aliens :)