Echo & Alexa Forums

Using car media display with Alexa

rpocock

Using car media display with Alexa
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:13 am »
Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, I am new to this forum.

I have an Echo Dot set up in my car. Its connected via my iPhone Hotspot (for internet connection) and via an auxiliary lead to connect to the car speakers.

Everything works fine, but I'd like to know if its possible to see what song is playing on the actual car media display, rather than just on my phone.

I can only use Alexa when the car media is using the AUX option which does not support data transfer.

Can anyone let me know if using the car media display is an option please?

Thanks

MartinB999

Re: Using car media display with Alexa
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:59:05 am »
Hi
Well I have done the same with my car and phone but despite trying quite a few things I am still unable to see what is playing on the car media display, it just comes up AUX. Sorry, I don't think that this is an option when the echo is used via another device - but hopefully one of the gurus can maybe advise us.

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
If your car supported Apple CarPlay then possibly yes, but the display would only be mirroring your iPhone.
https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

greatcapp

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:49:17 am »
I tried the Dot in my car, tethered to my iPhone, but the results for me were sketchy at best.

I had the Dot powered by a USB port, and the Dot plugged in via Aux to the CarPlay Stereo.

I couldn't get the in car display to show anything from the Dot.

I now just have Alexa using the iPhone only.

The iPhone is now connected via Bluetooth to the Car stereo (instead of hard wired into the car's USB socket), and I have the Amazon Music app on the iPhone which I play music from, and whenever I want to use Alexa, i Press the Alexa button on the iPhone, the music stops & I say what I want done. (The iPhone is in a BRODIT Cradle to the right side of my Steering wheel, so no looking away from the road).

The music that is playing within the Amazon Music App, is shown on my In Car system (though, NOT CarPlay).

I can still use Siri hands free to make/receive calls etc.

Seems to work ok for me.