Echo & Alexa Forums

Flaky wifi connection with mesh network

DaveT

Flaky wifi connection with mesh network
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:13 am »
I have an echo dot connected to a Bluetooth speaker, that I use to play music.  Every time I go to use it, when I play music, it's skippy.  Typically, I'm playing music from Spotify or Pandora.  It's not horribly bad, but there are noticeable skips every 5 seconds or so.  Then if I reconfigure/reconnect the Dot to my wifi network, the problem goes away.  Until the next time I use it.  I don't use it that often, I'd say every several days.

I have a "mesh" wifi system in my house (Linksys Velop).  So I have 5 access points scattered through the house, and they all share the same SSID.  What I think is happening with the Echo is that it's dropping its connection to the access point that it has the strongest signal with, and picking up one further away, with a weaker signal.  Out of the 5 access points, 2 or three should easily have a very strong signal to where the Echo is located. 

No other devices in the house have this issue.  Signal strength is fine in the room where the Dot is, for other devices.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Anyone seen this behavior before?

Thanks!

- Dave

Offline jwlv

Re: Flaky wifi connection with mesh network
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:30:07 am »
It's probably not a WiFi issue. More likely it's the Bluetooth connection from the Dot to your speaker. The range for Bluetooth is usually pretty short. Most consumer Bluetooth devices are Class 3 Bluetooth with a maximum range of about 30 feet. In actual use, you'd be lucky to get about 10 feet before audio begins to drop out.

Because Bluetooth is a very low power device, other things can very easily disrupt it. Even your own WiFi router can interfere with a Bluetooth signal since they are both on 2.4GHz. Your neighbors WiFi signal can also interfere with Bluetooth. Microwave ovens, household appliances, TVs, computers, cell phones, cordless phones, tablets, can all potentially interfere with Bluetooth. If you must do Bluetooth, I recommend the Dot and speaker be no more than 5 feet apart. Even if you have a newer 5GHz router, the 2.4GHz side is still there, whether you use it or not.

Many routers have a "Bluetooth Co-Existence" mode that tells the router to take turns so that it won't interfere with Bluetooth. The mode is usually turned off by default. If your router has this, you should turn it on. The picture below shows an Asus router with this setting.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:42:04 am by jwlv »

DaveT

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:22 am »
It's probably not a WiFi issue. More likely it's the Bluetooth connection from the Dot to your speaker. The range for Bluetooth is usually pretty short. Most consumer Bluetooth devices are Class 3 Bluetooth with a maximum range of about 30 feet. In actual use, you'd be lucky to get about 10 feet before audio begins to drop out.

I know about Bluetooth signal strength.  I don't think that's it.  The Bluetooth speaker is only a few feet from the Echo.  And it works totally fine when I first start using it.  It's only when I come back a few days later that I get the skipping.  And to fix it, I reconnect it to wifi.  I don't mess with the Bluetooth settings.  If it was Bluetooth, why would reconnecting wifi fix the problem?

DaveT

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:49:21 pm »
Anyone?  Is anyone using the Dot with a mesh wifi network?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »
I have the Google WiFi System with 3 nodes that I use with multiple Dots, original Echos, Echo Shows, and an Echo Tap.
No problems at all.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:32 pm »
you said others are closer, what about line of sight?   sometimes that will over ride closer signals.  I am not that familar with mesh but if you are able to change channels manually, then try changing it on the one you want the device to use. 

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »
you said others are closer, what about line of sight?   sometimes that will over ride closer signals.  I am not that familar with mesh but if you are able to change channels manually, then try changing it on the one you want the device to use.

It's true especially for apartment dwellers as your neighbors could be using the same
wifi channels as u. My experience shows that it's better to manually set a less congested channel than to let the router do it automatically.  The only way to find out if that's your problem would be to use a wifi analyzer app to check.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:07:22 pm by tthoben »
Echo Dot @ SG

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »
yep, those wifi signal analyzers work pretty good.  I installed one on my phone and was able to find deadspots and fix them.   one of them was fixed just by moving the router a couple of inches  :-)

zaphod

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »
I have the Google WiFi System with 3 nodes that I use with multiple Dots, original Echos, Echo Shows, and an Echo Tap.
No problems at all.

same google system here too. thankfully no problems as op described.