Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa & TP-Link only works 75% of the time

someguy9090

Alexa & TP-Link only works 75% of the time
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
Hi, a very similar topic was raised a while back - but no satisfactory resolution i think.

I have some TP link smartplugs. They work perfectly from Kasa. If I ask it to switch on or off it does exactly what it's supposed to.

However, if I ask Alexa to turn it on/off, sometimes she will very politely say OK....even though she hasn't bothered.

The previous thread talked about wifi strength etc, but the fact they work perfectly with KASA rules that out. This has happened across multiple echos and multiple smart switches - so the problem is not just with one piece of kit.

So, 2 questions, (i) why does this happen in the first place, and (ii) surely she should say something like 'couldn't connect', instead of pretending she's done it?

mike27oct

Re: Alexa & TP-Link only works 75% of the time
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:17 pm »
Sometimes that happens, loss of strong wi-fi maybe.  I just ask again and it works fine.  Very rarely this happens to me.

cdnirene

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:53 pm »
I don’t know the reason, but suggest ruling out the possibility that Alex doesn’t understand you.

For example, instead of saying “Alexa, turn on the bedroom light”, say “Alexa, bedroom light on.” See if that works consistently.

If it doesn’t help, try creating a routine in the Alexa app. For example, create a routine called Bedtime that turns on the bedroom light. Then, instead of saying “Alexa, turn on the bedroom light”, say “Alexa, bedtime”. See if that works consistently.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:55 am »
Did you enable the Alexa skill for your smart plugs and link your kasa account?

Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:59 am »
Had the same problem with TP link wall switches until I changed my router.
Remember, your wall switch is in a cavity behind a face plate.
You may test the signal strength standing at the switch, but what gets through to the receiver hidden in the wall may be inadequate.
Never had a failure since.

cdnirene

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »
The poster said the smart plug works reliably with the Kasa app - which communicates with the plug via WFi. So I can’t see WiFi issues being the problem.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:27:19 am »
Yes, it COULD be the wi-fi/  Consider that Alexa device is always in same location, whereas the Kasa app could be used anywhere he walks around in the home with his phone.  It very well could be that the alexa device is in a relatively weak zone of weak wi-fi signal.  He also should ask alexa to discover devices.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:48 am »
So... To the OP's input... I have had that happen as well with other products. Nothing TP link in my home yet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the signal telling the operation to happen is not sent back from the Alexa system properly... maybe someone else got your command and their lamp shut off or cam on... or the command was sent and made I but was the wrong command... instead sending an "ON" when you were requesting an "Off".

I like t think some poor sot got my command for my lights in Nebraska or Ohio and they're freaking out because they were just sitting there watching TV... whether it's possible or not... I don't know, but I just chalk it up to new, completely fun, but not ready for reliability testing technology. We're not just customers. we're all part of their Beta Testing Team. You should report the incident to Amazon Alexa team and maybe even to TPlink and let them have info that may help them identify a bug that needs fixed. or maybe even another case to help them study an ongoing problem they are already aware of.

Over all, I have a very high instance of success on my Smart home gadgets. I'd say above 95% even. But even that last little bit is the reason I don't have Smart locks yet.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

cdnirene

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 05:21:54 pm »
Yes, it COULD be the wi-fi/  Consider that Alexa device is always in same location, whereas the Kasa app could be used anywhere he walks around in the home with his phone.  It very well could be that the alexa device is in a relatively weak zone of weak wi-fi signal.  He also should ask alexa to discover devices.

Your Echo device is not a computer, just a speaker which relays your commands to Amazon’s remote server which takes action, including sending soundbytes back. The Echo device does not interact directly with your Alexa app or with your smart home devices.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:26:22 pm »
Who said anything about a Dot being a computer, and what do your comments have to do with the quote of mine?

Since you dispute the Alexa devices are not computerw. I beg to differ with you.  They ARE computers; just like mobile phones and tablets are. They are not like PCs;  they have limited capabilities, but they definitely have computer chips and processors in them which do specific tasks.

cdnirene

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:32:04 pm »
Mike, if the Echo was directly controlling the smart plug via WiFi, you would have NOT seen several hundred (or more) critical reviews for the Alexa skill, all occurring on ONE DAY - March 2, 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Kasa/product-reviews/B01EIQX6Y8/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_145?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=145

One of the reviews makes this comment:

Just spoke to TP link customer service about this issue. They told me the cloud is having some serious issue which is causing these problems everyone is having and that their engineering team is working hard around the clock to resolve.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 10:03:51 pm »
First of all, I never said the alexa device directly controlled the Kasa app or the smart plug.  But, if the wi-fi is weak or intermittent at the alexa device or the smart plug the communication chain is broken and the request fails.  I say the alexa device in this case, being stationary in one location, needs to placed in a stronger wi-fi location.

BTW, I was one of the first to notice the Kasa app failure at late evening here on west coast and first to report it at this site.

cdnirene

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
If the WFi signal between the Echo device and the router  was weak or intermittent I would thought the opening post would have mentioned other problems using Alexa. It didn’t.

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:17 pm »
Well, you thought wrong.  Data buffering can mask many problems.
The OP has a wi-fi issue.  End of discussion!

someguy9090

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:43:36 pm »
First of all, thanks for all the replies - most of them very helpful.

1. Perhaps it could be the wifi, however i have 2 other echos in the house, and the problem can occur with those also.
2. Now, I may be wrong here, but in the past if the echo device is not connected then when I say Alexa, it goes red and says something like 'the internet is disconnected' (I know there's a difference wifi part of the journey, and the router-to-cloud part of the journey). Also, if it doesn't do what i want, then almost always saying the same thing a second time (immediately after) does work.
3. Maybe it's my accent - but then it should just say something like 'i didn't understand' instead saying 'ok'. And when it says 'ok' I have never seen any of the other plugs switching in error.

Thanks to everyone! It's not really a big issue, just a little annoying that it's not quite reliable.