Echo & Alexa Forums

ISP bandwidth

goheels

ISP bandwidth
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:37:30 pm »
Echo may use a lot of ISP bandwidth. Mine has doubled since Echo. Anybody else checking on this
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:37:28 pm by goheels »

Offline jwlv

Re: ISP bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:29:07 pm »
My bandwidth usage has always been high, and Echo made it no different.

In an unrelated topic, I've recently discovered why my bandwidth usage has been so high. At first I thought it was my wireless security cameras or our Netflix/Prime streaming. I've tried turning off HD and opted for the lowest quality setting on Netflix. It didn't help.

Turns out it's all of our Apple devices! In my household, we have 4 iPhones and 4 iPads. There are several settings that enables the Apple devices share photos, backup its entire contents, and other data-heavy operations. On any given day, our Apple devices could be using as much as 10GB - 20GB in data just for these things and I had no idea that this was happening.  And to top it off, it was eating into our cellular data allotment when WiFi wasn't available. Last week, when I discovered this, I turned off most of these "features" that Apple so kindly tuned on for us without telling us about it. Now when I check our daily usage, it's only about 20% of what it used to be (3 GB instead of 15GB).