Echo & Alexa Forums

Do I need Phillips Hue bridge to create scenes?

emmagirl

Do I need Phillips Hue bridge to create scenes?
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:27 am »
I had scenes set up perfectly with my Echo Dot and Phillips Hue bulbs and bridge.  Then, I upgraded to an Echo Plus.  Now I can't create scenes.  Do I have to return to the bridge or is there a way to create scenes without the bridge?

dragon123

Re: Do I need Phillips Hue bridge to create scenes?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:41:39 pm »
I had scenes set up perfectly with my Echo Dot and Phillips Hue bulbs and bridge.  Then, I upgraded to an Echo Plus.  Now I can't create scenes.  Do I have to return to the bridge or is there a way to create scenes without the bridge?

The Echo Plus is not an upgrade IMHO... The hue bridge can do soooo much more. Usually ppl GET a bridge if they are not satisfied anymore with simple on/off commands.

With the bridge you get to create scenes, set colors, dim lights, program dimmer switches/motion sensors/tap switches, use home&away, wake up/sleep/custom routines, timers, entertainment area and the cool formulas the hue labs comes up with.

With 3rd party apps connected to your bridge you can set lights to music, create a 'haunted house', 'fireworks', 'rain forest' etc, program your dimmer switches for more than the 3 scenes per button, etc etc.

emmagirl

Re: Do I need Phillips Hue bridge to create scenes?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
I thought one less device to mess with would be an upgrade - for my simple mind. 

So, I can't create a scene without the bridge.  I guess I will go back to the bridge. 

Thanks for the information.