Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting Echo to a pc with ethernet connection only

GeneralGeorge

Connecting Echo to a pc with ethernet connection only
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
I have two Win 10 pc's both connected to the internet by ethernet cables to a Netgear router therefore I have no Wi-Fi. How do I get my Echo to talk to the Alexa App. Thanks for the help.

dragon123

Re: Connecting Echo to a pc with ethernet connection only
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:45:11 pm »
I have two Win 10 pc's both connected to the internet by ethernet cables to a Netgear router therefore I have no Wi-Fi. How do I get my Echo to talk to the Alexa App. Thanks for the help.

1) You do need wifi for that.
2) That you have pcs connected by ethernet does not automatically mean you do not have wifi, so no "therefore".
3) Enable wifi on that netgear router if you haven't already.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »
Maybe the OP has an ONLY wired router (A VERY old fashioned router).  If so, he really needs a router upgrade that is both wired and wireless, to join the 21 Century and be able to use today's gadgets  Even if he does not have a smart phone he can use his PC wireless to connect to gadgets, like Alexa ones, to set them up.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:16 pm »

not going to happen. 

GeneralGeorge

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:07 pm »
I have a up to date router. I checked it and the wireless is up. Under devices it list wireless devices Ipad and Amazon so it must be seeing those. The PC still does not have a wireless symbol in the system tray and I cannot proceed any further with the setup. Also the Ipad works fine wireless. I have xfered files from pc to Ipad wireless many times.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 07:42:47 pm »
that is the type of info you SHOULD have given in your first post.  You made it seem like you only had an wire router. wasted our time and yours. 

exactly what router?  pc does not have to give a wireless symbol if connected to wire.  If your router is already setup for wifi, then all you have to do is to following the instructions that came with the echo.

GeneralGeorge

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:43:21 pm »
I am sorry for wasting your time. It's a Netgear N600 Dual Band DGND3700v2. I am using the Alexa online setup and it requires I go to the Wi-Fi on the pc and choose the Amazon-xxx before I can go to the next step. I can't do that because there is no Wi-Fi list in the Network and Internet to choose from. There is only a Ethernet entry.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:46:10 am »
OP, you must have set up the wireless, and you must have a user manual somewhere.  It is YOUR job to set up your router correctly, and if you can't do it, get the Netgear help desk to help you. Every router shows the wireless signals nearby in a window of the PC. Every PC user can find this info; why can't you?   You should be asking at the Netgear forum and NOT the Echo forum, because the router is the problem, not the Echo.

dragon123

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 04:21:41 am »
I am sorry for wasting your time. It's a Netgear N600 Dual Band DGND3700v2. I am using the Alexa online setup and it requires I go to the Wi-Fi on the pc and choose the Amazon-xxx before I can go to the next step. I can't do that because there is no Wi-Fi list in the Network and Internet to choose from. There is only a Ethernet entry.

OK, so you do have wifi. That is step one.

Step two is you will need a pc, laptop, android or apple phone/tablet that is also connected to your wifi.
If you don't have any of the above, the cheapest and easiest solution is to buy a wifi usb dongle for your pc.

You might also be able to get away borrowing a phone/tablet/laptop from someone else to do the initial setup.

As a sidenote, if you really do not use wifi now, be careful if it is enabled - make sure you have the security set up OK, definitely change the default passwords for admin login and wifi login.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 06:16:34 am »
OP, you must have set up the wireless, and you must have a user manual somewhere.  It is YOUR job to set up your router correctly, and if you can't do it, get the Netgear help desk to help you. Every router shows the wireless signals nearby in a window of the PC. Every PC user can find this info; why can't you?   You should be asking at the Netgear forum and NOT the Echo forum, because the router is the problem, not the Echo.

mike27oct: Not every PC has a WiFi card inside, especially older desktops. Heck, I have several older desktops that don't have a network card or Ethernet. And even older ones that don't have USB ports.

GeneralGeorge: You might want to take dragon123's advice and borrow a phone/tablet/laptop from someone. Or if you have a few bucks to spare, you can go to Walmart (or some other big box store) and get a pre-paid phone (e.g. Cricket, Metro PCS, Boost Mobile). Just pay for the phone but do not pay or sign up for the service. Many of these pre-paid phones can be bought for under $30. Just make sure it runs Android.

The upside to buying one of these "throwaway phones" is that you now have a low priced backup phone for emergencies. By law, as of 1999, all cell phones in the US can call 911 whether you paid for service or not. And as of 2002, all cell phones are required to transmit GPS location to 911 dispatch so that they can locate you if you are unable to tell them where you are.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:32:34 am by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 01:05:39 pm »
>>>  "mike27oct: Not every PC has a WiFi card inside, especially older desktops."

OP has two Win 10 PCs, so his PCs are likely not old ones.  He also has an iPad connected to the router wi-fi, and to do that he had to have put in the router password or use WPS.

dragon123

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 01:36:49 pm »
the Ipad works fine wireless

D'oh. I missed that part... If you have an ipad, why are you bothering with your pc  :o
Just install the alexa app on your ipad and do the initial setup from there.

GeneralGeorge

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 01:56:41 pm »
OK gents. I will get with the Netgear people. The Echo is paired with the Ipad and works ok. I wanted to connect it with the pc so I could play pc music files etc. I downloaded the Alexa app on to the pc and got stuck at the point where it says to select the Wi-Fi. Can't get a Wi-Fi listing so maybe a Netgear problem. Thanks for all the help.

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
Whew, problem solved. He gets it!

I am kicking myself for not suggesting to set up with iPad, since that is what I use to set up and deal with Alexa app most often.  I am such a dope, (too).

dragon123

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 03:31:53 pm »
OK gents. I will get with the Netgear people. The Echo is paired with the Ipad and works ok. I wanted to connect it with the pc so I could play pc music files etc. I downloaded the Alexa app on to the pc and got stuck at the point where it says to select the Wi-Fi. Can't get a Wi-Fi listing so maybe a Netgear problem. Thanks for all the help.

1) No need whatsoever to get with netgear ppl: your pc does not have a wifi card/dongle! Netgear cannot help that LOL go to a computer store and buy one if you want a wifi enabled pc.

2) You can play your own music files, over bluetooth or via a server you setup (like plex or mymedia). No wifi needed for either. There are a lot of threads on here on how to play your own media, however judging by this thread setting up something like a plex server is going to go over your head I'm afraid. Amazon does not make it easy to play your own files in the alexa eco system, they want you to get an amazon music subscription from them or alternatively a spotify premium account.

Again your best bet here is that ipad. Try playing music from that ipad to the echo using bluetooth. Of course then you're just using your echo as a bluetooth-enabled speaker, but if that suits your needs, ...