Echo & Alexa Forums

How can I download the Echo App?

peteneri

How can I download the Echo App?
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:38:47 am »
I live in Mexico - the country, not the state in the US. I have been unable to find a way to download the Echo app. Without it, the device is really of limited use.

Thx for your help - Pedro De MX

mike27oct

Re: How can I download the Echo App?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:41 am »
Yes, you do have a problem.  I suggest you contact Amazon Echo US customer assistance help phone and get above the initial person taking your call and ask how.

“You can reach Amazon Echo Customer Support by phone directly and toll-free at 1-877-375-9365. We're available from 3 a.m. to 10 p.m. ...

Also, the app can be operated online via an internet browser.  You need your Amazon account to log into it, though.  Go to either http://alexa.amazon.com  or  http://echo.amazon.com

Let us know what you find out; it may help others someday as well.

peteneri

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:43:40 am »
Can't use the "Alexa App". BUT, once you have Echo installed and recognizing your wifi source, you can go to the website ALEXA.AMAZON.COM

This site allows you to do most everything the app does.

PS - If you ever have to go to ECHO help, try to get past the first-level tech and get JOEL at the second level. He is wonderful.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 04:56:44 am »
Thanks for reporting back with your findings, Peter.  Glad you have your Echo working in Mexico now!

Maff

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:19:11 pm »
There are loads of ways you can get the app. Some take the route of changing settings on some devices & using a vpn with a US IP address. Or a much easier route is to just download it from here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/amazon-mobile-llc/amazon-alexa/amazon-alexa-1-0-134-3-prod_7076810-release/amazon-alexa-1-0-134-3-prod_7076810-android-apk-download/

Of course this is just for Android, and you need to enable 'unknown sources' in android settings.

Generally be careful about dodgy downloads with viruses etc but I've beenbeen using this site for downloading the Alexa app since it came out & I've had no issues.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:22:49 pm by Maff »

Chopper1

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 02:55:55 pm »
Hi, new here and from Canada :)  Currently none of the above relies work for users located outside the USA, can someone post the APK to share please?

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »
Canadians are not yet allowed to own or operate Alexa devices, and the APK is a dark, dark secret.  You can get to the Alexa app by using a browser on computer via www.alexa.amazon.com   :(

Chopper1

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 11:34:18 pm »
Thanks

NatsFan

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:03:54 pm »
VPN to a server located in the US should work too....