Echo & Alexa Forums

UGH! Amazon did it again

Offline jwlv

UGH! Amazon did it again
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:16:47 am »
Amazon did it again! As of 3/16/2018 whenever I ask Alexa to turn on/off a smart device, instead of replying "OK" I just get a 2-tone beep. Amazon did this about 2 years ago and then brought back the "OK" after a week because of customer complaints. Why they decided to do this again is beyond me!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:19:50 am by jwlv »

Offline jwlv

Re: UGH! Amazon did it again
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:26:26 am »
Apparently there is a setting for this now. In the Alexa app, go to Settings >  Alexa Voice Responses (scroll all the way down) -- you can toggle Brief Mode.

The description for Brief Mode is:  In this mode, Alexa speaks less, and for some simple messages plays a short sound instead of a voice response

Saying OK is just as brief as the beep. But in other responses I would prefer brief responses rather than verbose responses. Unfortunately I can't have the OK turned on and brief mode for everything else.

BTW, this isn't available to all customers yet. Like most updates, it will roll out to most customers over the next few days. As far as I know this is a US update for now. I assume other countries will get the same update at a later time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:30:13 am by jwlv »

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:25:09 am »
My Echo devices are configured as US (I do have the follow-up mode) but I cannot see that Alexa Voice Responses in the Settings yet (using the Alexa website on a desktop).
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-disable-alexas-new-brief-mode-in-order-to-bring-back-okay-responses/alexa-app-voice-responses-setting/

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »
they just started the updates.  yesterday it asked me if I wanted brief mode and I said NO.  did not like the beep the last time and still don't like it now.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:32:14 pm »
Be happy.  Be very happy.  Google is the king of verbose!  My one and only complaint.  I would love a beep or a simple "ok".

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 01:07:46 pm »
Just checked: I get an OK response whem I turn on or off a smart plug.  Just last night I turned off the same smart plug and Alexa asked me if I want brief mode and I also replied np.

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:21:16 am »
they just started the updates.  yesterday it asked me if I wanted brief mode and I said NO.  did not like the beep the last time and still don't like it now.

I don't know what it sounded like before but now it's a very elegant 2 note chime (not too tinny).  It's sophisticated.  I like it :)  You might like it too if you heard "Got it, turning on the bedroom light"..."ok, turning off the bedroom light".