Echo & Alexa Forums

How do I end drop in from the device dropped in on ?

mangurian

How do I end drop in from the device dropped in on ?
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:28:36 pm »
I used my bedroom DOT to Drop In on the family room DOT.  OK.
When I asked the Family Room DOT to end the Drop In it did not.
When I asked the bedroom DOT which started the Drop In to end the Drop In it worked.

Am I doing something wrong ?   It would be insidious if the room dropped in on could not stop someone from listening in  without using the Alexa APP.

Help please.

Re: How do I end drop in from the device dropped in on ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:48:46 pm »
it would be foolish for amazon to allow or disallow drop-ins via voice.  It is all about security and keeping others from changing the setting on you without you knowing.  If you want to disable it, use the app or browser on computer.  I hope there is no other way. 

mangurian

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 04:05:24 pm »
it would be foolish for amazon to allow or disallow drop-ins via voice.  It is all about security and keeping others from changing the setting on you without you knowing.  If you want to disable it, use the app or browser on computer.  I hope there is no other way.

If drop-ins are enabled via the app under settings, drop-ins started by voice ARE allowed.  If this were not true, the intercom aspect would be useless.  If you had to get the app on a phone or whatever every time you wanted two Echo devices to drop-in, you might as well use the ALEXA app to communicate.  What I don't like is that I can't seem to end a drop-in by voice unless I initiated it. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:36:41 pm »
I use "drop in" on occasion.  But regardless of who initiated it, either party can say "Alexa Stop" and it ends.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:59:49 pm »
I may have miss understood what you were asking.  are you talking about temporary, stopping a current drop in, or permanently turning drop in off?   Your original post really was not that clear to me. 

mangurian

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 08:26:44 pm »
I use "drop in" on occasion.  But regardless of who initiated it, either party can say "Alexa Stop" and it ends.

Tried that and Alexa Stop did not work on either DOT.  The green just keeps going around. The only way I stopped them was to cut the wifi and repower.
UNSAT !  Two devices bought at different times, but the same software version.

Looks like a bug.  I now have Drop-in turned off.  Too bad.  My wife is getting a hip replacement and I wanted her to be able to summon me.   I wonder if Google Home is any better.  I don't have the cash to switch.  Bah !

bruce

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:36 am »
I found that using the command "Alexa hangup" works sometimes, but not every time. When mine does finally hang up it then becomes unresponsive and I have to reset the the dot. (see my previous post). I believe this to be a software issue.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:50:24 am by bruce »

mangurian

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »
I found that using the command "Alexa hangup" works sometimes, but not every time. When mine does finally hang up it then becomes unresponsive and I have to reset the the dot. (see my previous post). I believe this to be a software issue.

Unsat...........I expect Google to be more responsive (publicly) if there is a problem.  I have two Echo's only because of the drop-in capability.  Mine are behaving similarly to yours.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »
Why not just CALL from one Dot to the other?  That works fine for me.