Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Background updates to Alexa

HomeAuto123

Background updates to Alexa
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »
I see soo many questionable posts on this forum just wondering how many come directly from Amazon for example trying to deny that updates are  causing the system to no longer work like it was or should be doing.

Would it not be real nice for users if:
1) Amazon allowed a period of stability longer then a few weeks before implementing further updates
2) Informed users of impending updates, how the updates impact Alexa and how Alexa understands slots and utterances
3) Amazon stopped assuming that all its users are non technical and Alexa can just do what she wants

We have been monitoring this for a while and have communicated our findings to Amazon. Alexa was working realy well for us just can not understand why Amazon allowed a few unnecessary updates to destroy the whole user experience.

The attached document is the detailed response we sent to Amazon.

Unless things change Alexa will just end up being a very expensive novelty gadget to play quiz games and an enhanced dictonary given dictionary definitions. How sad for all the money Amazon have invested in Alexa.

Dear Amazon
I would just like to say that while Alexa was working it worked well and looked promising as a real contender in the home automation space.
Unfortunately after the recant updates of last week the whole system has become totally unviable to us. Everything that we had working well with the smart home skill no longer works as it should.
We have invested a significant amount of money and resources in Alexa based on what Amazon alleged Alexa could do and what Amazon advertise Alexa can do so this has been a big disappointment to us.
It is now our view, following recent updates to Alexa by Amazon, that Alexa is no longer able to provide the home automation service reliably.
Furthermore, we believe that the continued updates to Amazon Alexa without warning to end users and without the possibility of end users choosing not to have the updates is not what users would reasonably expect from a large organisation such as Amazon.
Because we can no longer trust how Amazon will develop the Alexa offering moving forward we believe that Amazon Alexa is not yet mature enough to be seriously offered by a consultancy offering home automation solutions.
To this extent we have decided to reconsider offering Amazon Alexa as a preferred home automation tool in the company we are setting up to provide consultancy, installation and support of home automation solutions targeted at high value residential properties and new build residential properties in the UK and Europe.
We are only a start-up company at the moment that no one has heard off but we do believe that the continued changes Amazon is making to Alexa are affecting thousands of users worldwide and that in the long run these unnecessary changes will add no value to the Alexa offering.
Just to share with you some of our thoughts:
From our experience it appears to us that Alexa is being developed more as a ‘fun’ novelty item useful for dictionary definitions, playing quiz games, playing news flashes etc but not for home automation and control.
From our perspective it feels like someone at Amazon is simply pushing through some individuals ‘wish list’ updates without properly thinking them through.
Like we said at the start it’s a shame that a potentially great product Alexa appears to be heading into becoming nothing more then a novelty and a pumped-up Encyclopaedia with Value added Extras.
Example of why we reached this decision:
While this has affected all our automation test labs I will take the opportunity to describe one involving automated curtains. We have on numerous occasions sent this through the Alexa feedback and support link. Amazon may want to think this through in more detail.

In our test lab we have six devices named as below. These are uniquely identified and are connected to three different devices
id   Device name   Connection
1   Open curtains   Connected to switch one on command
2   Close curtains   Connected to switch one off command
3   Evening curtains   Connected to switch two on command
4   Morning curtains   Connected to switch two off command
5   Early evening curtains   Connected to switch one three command
6   Early morning curtains   Connected to switch three off command

Command:
Below is a table of the commands we used to issue to Alexa and the response she would give
id   Command   Or Command   Alexa Response   Action
1   Alexa open curtains   Alexa switch on curtains   OK   Turns on switch one
2   Alexa close curtains   Alexa switch off curtains   OK   Turns off switch one
3   Alexa open evening curtains   Alexa switch on evening curtains   OK   Turns on switch two
4   Alexa close evening curtains   Alexa switch off evening curtains   OK   Turns off switch two
5   Alexa open morning curtains   Alexa switch on morning curtains   OK   Turns on switch o three
6   Alexa close morning curtains   Alexa switch off morning curtains   OK   Turns off switch three

After Recant Alexa updates:
After the updates made by Amazon Alexa last week, below is the response we know get from Alexa. Clearly Alexa is wrong in her response when we say :
   “Alexa turn on open curtains”
Alexa responds with: (she did not do this last week. We have asked for specific device called ‘open curtains’ and not for definition of curtains.)
“ a curtain is curtains a piece of cloth intended to block or obscure lights or drafts …….”
When asked several times Alexa eventually says:
Request to Alexa  ---------- “Alexa turn on open curtains”
Alexa response ------------ “there are several devices with that name”
Not true we only have one device called “open curtains”
We assume that all Alexa is now focusing on is the word curtain and providing a definition of the word curtain rather then sending an ON command to switch one which is associate to the device called “open curtains”.

id   Command   Or Command   Alexa Response   Action
1   Alexa open curtains   Alexa switch on curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “open curtains”
2   Alexa close curtains   Alexa switch off curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “close curtains”
3   Alexa open evening curtains   Alexa switch on evening curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “evening curtains”
4   Alexa close evening curtains   Alexa switch off evening curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “evening curtains”
5   Alexa open morning curtains   Alexa switch on morning curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “morning curtains”
6   Alexa close morning curtains   Alexa switch off morning curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “morning curtains”

This applies to all appliances not just curtains. It’s the same with lights, sockets, lamps etc. Alexa now focuses on giving definitions and tries to match any one word from the request rather then parse what is said and try and act on it.
This new way of handling user Intents is not making Alexa any cleverer it is just making it impossible to effectively control home automation.

Thanks

Offline jwlv

Re: Background updates to Alexa
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:04:02 pm »
Regarding the following:
1   Alexa open curtains   Alexa switch on curtains   There are several devices with that name   Wrong there is only one device called “open curtains”

I've experienced the exact same thing. The workaround is to create a routine called "open curtains." I believe routines have precedence when it comes to keywords/key phrases. Whereas Open and Close are normally keywords to start or stop a skill. When you define a routine, the exact phrase will be taken as a command to start the routine rather than to look for a skill.

A lot of things that used to work a certain way no longer work that same way after an update. It's unfortunate that this happens on an ongoing basis and users never know what can or will happen until after it happens. Then it's up to the users to scramble to find a suitable solution (such as the one suggested above). That's what this forum is for. Because many of us have similar setups, when one person finds a solution for something, others can benefit without having to start from square one.

This is what we have to expect with devices that are constantly updated with new abilities and functions. Decades ago if you bought a CRT television, it only worked one way. Nothing ever changes on it and you expect nothing to change. That also means you won't get new functions on it, for example displaying the channel number w/ the callsign of the station. Most CRT televisions don't have that ability. But at one time in the analogue television days, the callsign was transmitted as part of the signal. If your TV wasn't designed to retrieve that data, it will not get an update to do so either.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:06:43 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:17:08 pm »
I have never had a problem with alexa after being updated.  in fact, I am willing to bet the majority of users have absolutely no problems.  the only ones having problems are power users, those who push alexa to the limits of its programing.  One thing for sure, there is absolutely no way to program for every skill, every possible combination within a routine, for every device that access it.  there will be times something will break, and it will not always be amazons fault, it would be up to the third parties to update their property whether it be skill or device. 

it is still a young technology and have a long way to go. 

iolinux333

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:55 am »
It's making me nuts too. I don't feel like I'm pushing Alexa to limits. I'm mostly just using it for voice control of simple home automation stuff (lights, electric sockets, thermostats, alarm). But it seems like whenever I finally get everything to work the way it should, a few weeks later an update breaks half of everything and then I have to go back through and redo it. Then most of the time there's a bunch of leftover crud that keeps accumulating in my device lists in various places with no way of deleting it.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:57:51 am »
With. very small amount of trial and error, I usually find a way to get things going after an update changes something... In my case, almost all of the issues I have encountered are not issues from accessories I add, and what I have chosen to name things.

The toughest one I had to figure out, was keeping names from being used in two places, where I named a room and a light bulb the same name. Once I figured out *I* was the problem, I shared the cure with the forums so others wouldn't have to kill themselves for 2 weeks trying to work the bugs out. It took me. while, as I had added some Philips Hue Bulbs and at the same exact time, HUE did an update to their system and I had to figure out how it all worked, knowing I had changed something at the same time.

I figure the whole concept is to let the consumer help the manufacturer refine their products by experiencing these things and giving them work-arounds without having to invest in the testing portion beyond a point they predetermined.

If you could build a product and let the consumers do your testing without being liable for the problems your product produced... would you spend money doing it? A lot of people would say yes, but in reality, if you didn't take advantage of the construct available, then you wouldn't be able to complete in a very competitive market and one that is coming unto speed VERY quickly due to the fact the consumers are willing to do your foot work for you just so they can have the products before they're actually ready for prime time...

I don't think anyone is doing wrong necessarily. I just think we all buy into the system and if you want to participate, you have to let go of the "perfect" and "tested" concept you have been used to all your life. Open your thoughts to being a part of the process and Participate, or just set aside the whole things and bow out and wait for it all to be perfected... which, in my estimation is many many moons away. On the order of Decades.

Hopefully, by the time I am old and feeble, these AI products will be more refined and will actually work as the dreamers who first put pen to paper on this whole "voice controlled world" intended or conceived. Until then, I am quite satisfied to be a part of the refinement process. I enjoy working out puzzles and solving mysteries. Not everyone does. Not everyone has time or will take the time. I will.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!