Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Looking for a socket with countdown off timer?

spoonpilot

Looking for a socket with countdown off timer?
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:31:13 pm »
I currently have a remote control socket that automatically turns off each time I start it, either after 1,2,4 or 8 hours.
I use it for a fan in my bedroom that I always want to turn off one hour after I start it.

I have searched relentlessly for an echo compatible socket that can do the same thing but so far come up empty handed.
I have several different types of sockets already, some of which offer countdown timer options within their phone app, but these need to be manually set each time the plug is turned on.

Does anyone know of a socket that will always turn off after a predetermined amount of time. I just want to run a routine via voice command at night that includes my fan instead of having to use a separate device to do it.

Offline jwlv

Re: Looking for a socket with countdown off timer?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:57 pm »
Wemo switch has an auto off timer that can turn off anywhere from 1 minute to 24 hours after it's been turned on.
So if you use Alexa to, say, "turn on the fan" and you have the Wemo auto off timer set to 2 hours, the fan will turn off after 2 hours. You can choose any amount of time between 1 minute to 24 hours in 1 minute increments. Once this is set thru the Wemo app, it stays that way until you change it.

The Wemo switch is made by Belkin and is Alexa compatible. It costs about $30. Sometimes you can get it as low as $20-$25 when on sale, like on Black Friday.

Here's a tutorial from HowToGeek:
https://www.howtogeek.com/251453/how-to-set-a-timer-for-your-belkin-wemo-switch/

spoonpilot

Re: Looking for a socket with countdown off timer?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:26 am »
Many thanks for your helpful reply. It looks like it serves the purpose I need it for. Unfortunately the UK/EU versions are somewhat more expensive at about $60 on Amazon.
I stumbled upon another plug that may do the same thing but it's only US at the moment. The UK/EU versions are released next month. I may just wait and see if they're any cheaper!
http://meross.com/products/home_automation/smart_wi_fi_plug/21.html

btw, I love your curtains, what a super set up you have!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:40:29 am by spoonpilot »