Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and Hue don’t like each other...

Sdouglas1987

Alexa and Hue don’t like each other...
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:01 pm »
Hello and thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help me with this, I’ll try to explain as best I can.

I have an echo plus and an echo dot as well as various Philips hue lightbulbs throughout the house, I have the Philips Hue app in which all of the bulbs are set up and grouped into rooms, they all work perfectly well when controlled manually through the Hue app, I also have each of my lighting scenes set up within each room, to keep things simple we will use two examples ‘Evening Lights’ and ‘Peggy’s Lights’ (Peggy is the dog, I like to leave a couple of lamps on for her if I’m out in the evening...)

I also have the Alexa app which has discovered each bulb, room and the aforementioned scenes.

I have Groups set up within the Alexa app to match the Hue Scenes so the group called Evening Lights in the Alexa App is linked to the Hue scene named Evening Lights in each of the following - Living Room, Hall, Study and Bedroom.

Peggys Lights is again set up in the Alexa app and corresponds to the Hue scenes but only uses bulbs in the Living Room and Hall.

Each of my scenes works perfectly well when all bulbs are off ‘Alexa turn on evening lights’ ‘Ok’ and bingo they are on as required but if this setting is on and I say ‘Alexa, turn on Peggys lights’ she says ‘Ok’ and she changes the bulbs that are linked but doesn’t turn off the other ones so I’m left with ‘Peggys lights’ setting on (the hall lamp and two lamps in the living room) But also the other bulbs that were on in the last setting (bedroom, study etc) but I want these to be off now! Is there a way to move from group to group? At the minute I have to turn all the lights off to then ask it to change group and it’s driving me mad!!

Also I keep saying ‘please’ whenever I ask her to do anything, that’s a british thing right? 

Sorry for the long winded explanation I wanted to give as much info as possible, I hope someone can help!!!

dragon123

Re: Alexa and Hue don’t like each other...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:32 am »
Light scenes work 'on top off' each other yes.
If you want to turn off all lights BUT Peggy's lights, you could use 2 commands (turn off all lights, turn on Peggy's lights), or create a routine that performs both those actions in succession.

Sdouglas1987

Re: Alexa and Hue don’t like each other...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:34:24 am »
Excellent thank you, I hadn’t worked out that routines could be used to turn off the unwanted lights, I have now created routines to match the scenes so I can switch between them, for some reason ‘Peggys Lights’ doesn’t work but ‘Security Lights’ does 🤷🏼‍♂️ Thanks!