Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Occupancy Sensor Switch Echo Compatible

Occupancy Sensor Switch Echo Compatible
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:54:07 pm »
I've been searching specifically for an Occupancy Sensor Switch that is compatible with the Amazon Echo.  Not sure why this is such a novelty to find.  If anyone has found one that works I would greatly appreciate the suggestion.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
Re: Occupancy Sensor Switch Echo Compatible
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »
I've been searching specifically for an Occupancy Sensor Switch that is compatible with the Amazon Echo.  Not sure why this is such a novelty to find.  If anyone has found one that works I would greatly appreciate the suggestion.

What's your intention for the sensor's integration with Alexa? There are quite a few brands of motion detectors (either standalone or part of a home security kit) that can work with Alexa thru IFTTT.

For e.g. Broadlink s1c kit
Echo Dot @ SG

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:39:39 pm »
hue also has a motion sensor that works without ifttt

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
tthoben - I have several bedrooms/bathrooms that have occupancy sensors in them.  They have their own set timers to turn off when motion is no longer detected unless the power button is pressed.  I want to be able to turn them on/off via the Echo outside either of it's functions.  I'm looking for a singular device vs a separate motion sensor and switch.

Online kevb

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:55 pm »
There is a z-wave version of what you are looking for, but it requires a hub (Vera, Smartthings, etc.) to work with Alexa.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Occupancy-26933/dp/B071Y38FX5

Offline kenf

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »
I think that's just a z-wave dimmer switch.  I don't see a sensor function in the specs.

Getting combo devices out of GE is hard.  each gangbox device can only do one thing, based on their track record.

I use GE z-wave for my house and SmartThings hub.  So I've studied their product line a bit...

Online kevb

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »
The motion sensor is for local control (this switch on when motion detected, etc)  and to send alerts. I don't think it can be used as a separate motion sensor in Smartthings, Vera, etc.