Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Block people from pairing to Echo Dot

Nisa715

Block people from pairing to Echo Dot
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »
Is there a way to prevent people from saying "Alexa pair with xxx" that I don't want using the echo? Basically I'm trying to prevent people at a party from overtaking my echo and playing whatever they want from their phone. Had this happen last month and could only kick them off from the app, but I don't want anyone but myself to be in control of my devices. I want to block anyone from ever pairing their device with my echos.

strayfish

Re: Block people from pairing to Echo Dot
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 06:02:52 pm »
Are you in a country where Alexa has voice recognition capability because that could be your answer. If you're in the UK like me, you're out of luck with that so I hope someone else has another solution.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »
that is one of the problems with bluetooth, anyone within range can connect to the device.  basically you are out of luck. 

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 03:23:46 am »
Ah, I thought from the original post that people were using voice somehow to do this. If not, then as Renegade says, you're out of luck. I hadn't considered this, no one in my circles has ever tried it. If they did, I might covertly start the self destruct countdown :)

Nisa715

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:31:57 am »
Ah, I thought from the original post that people were using voice somehow to do this. If not, then as Renegade says, you're out of luck. I hadn't considered this, no one in my circles has ever tried it. If they did, I might covertly start the self destruct countdown :)

They did use voice to do it. We were sitting at a table and told Alexa to pair with their device. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to kick them off cause I didn’t think that would be possible. I want to avoid that ever happening again.

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 11:07:01 am »
I guess that's back to voice recognition then. If you have that facility and you've trained your device to respond to your voice then, as I understand it, it shouldn't respond to anyone else's.
Is that so, Hive Mind?

iolinux333

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
Given the lousy choice between Bluetooth pairing requiring a code like it used to back in the old days, and the complete lack of security now...

I'll take zero security every time!

Pairing codes sucked.

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:01:39 pm »
Don't throw a party then. Are you really that selfish? I don't think you are or you won't throw a party in your house.

I believe you can set up that only your device can pair to BT though.

Next time hide your echo if you are that scared?

Dot audio sucks anyway LOL