Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Play studio version of song

nonobaddog

Play studio version of song
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:26 pm »
How do I get my Echo Dot to play the studio version of Life During Wartime by Talking Heads?
I have tried all sorts of ways to ask for it but all it plays is the Live Version which I do not want.
There must be something simple that I am not doing right.

mike27oct

Re: Play studio version of song
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
Have you tried asking for song title played from album's name?

nonobaddog

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
Well Duh.  That did it!!  Thank you very much.  I tried asking for studio version, album version, radio version, not live version etc.  But naming the album 'Fear of Music' worked.
I still wish there was a better way.  A lot of times I think of a song I have not heard for years and want to play it but Echo plays a remake or live version and I do not know the album name, heck sometimes I don't even know the groups name.  In this particular case I was lucky enough to know it.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:01:25 pm »
Agree, Well, Duh"

Remember to be specific when specific is required. 
So, how could this be "easier"?  You want it to read your mind?
Some people are never satisfied, I suppose.

nonobaddog

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:07:13 pm »
Well snark, it could be easier - like I already said - by not needing to say the album title, which is not always known.  If I could just say "studio version" that would be easier.  If I could just say "radio version" that would be easier.  If I could just say "not live version" that would be easier.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
Where is your sense of humor, Dude (or Dudette)?

Hey, You are the one who said, Well, Duh.

My comment was not snarky; it was an apt description of your attitude.

Life is not always how we want it to be or "should be", so get over it and move on.  Likelihood of your trivial wish being granted is pretty far fetched and whining about it will not make it come true.

Thanks for visiting the forum. Adios.

nonobaddog

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »
I see.  I think you misunderstood me.  The "Well Duh." was for ME.  I was the Duh that didn't think of specifying the album title.  Your first post answered my question very well, as I said.  I also said "Thank you very much."

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:24:37 pm »
Good grief, NO, (no bad dog), I did not misunderstand you.  I was agreeing with you.

Whatever.  BTW, you're welcome for your thank you.

Why do I feel you scolded me with nonobaddog?  Apt member name here.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:32:47 pm »
I don't have much luck with all of the music sources around anymore... simply for the same reason... everything seems to want you to listen to some live crap with yayhoos whistling and shouting during the music... I despise MOST live music recordings due to that, and wish the default was studio music. I generally have given up hope with pretty much all music services due to their propensity for defaulting to the "live" crap... although I have found at least one service I can work with for classic rock, it doesn't help me with many other genres of music when just casually listening. On occasion there is an artist who works out to be a very good live artist and a so-so studio musician... but that's rare, and even more rare is the musical act that sounds equally good live as studio... Good recording engineers are priceless. Great recordings are genuinely hard to find in our current state of music offerings, especially where the artist isn't all that popular, in my experience.

Now, add to this lack of excitement for the offerings, that many great songs from past have been "remastered" (and many poorly) making it hair-pulling madness to use a lot of these services.

Glad you figured out a way to get the song you want [and the version of it] to play. That may help me in the future if I bother myself with the streaming music services again.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!