Echo & Alexa Forums

Bluetooth when playing multiple echos

Darola

Bluetooth when playing multiple echos
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
I have an Echo and an Echo dot, both members of an "everywhere" group. The dot is connected to my Bluetooth soundbar. When the dot is playing solo it connects to the soundbar with no intervention, when I request music to play "everywhere" it does not connect to the Bluetooth. When I ask it to connect, it first says it's already connected, then says it is having trouble connecting. As soon as I go back to solo, it connects fine. The other Echo used to be connected to the Bluetooth device before we got the dot - I have since removed it and it's not showing in the devices Bluetooth menu. Anybody know why I can't connect the dot to Bluetooth when Alexa is playing "everywhere"

StevenR

Re: Bluetooth when playing multiple echos
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:59 am »
Multi-room audio doesn't support Bluetooth. This is because there is often some degree of delay when using a Bluetooth speaker, which can vary from speaker to speaker. This means that, if one of the devices in the group is connected to a Bluetooth speaker, Alexa cannot guarantee that the audio will be in sync across them all. It therefore disconnects Bluetooth when you play to a multi-room group.

The wired connection isn't affected so you can either plug the speaker into this or, if you are willing to put up with the delay, use a plug-in bluetooth transmitter.

Darola

Re: Bluetooth when playing multiple echos
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:08:49 pm »
Thanks for the response. I'm really surprised that Alexa doesn't advice you of that when you are in multi-room asking it to connect. A simple "I don't support Bluetooth when playing multiple echoes" or similar would be a lot easier than saying it's connected then announcing an error???