Echo & Alexa Forums

echo/alexa use when internet is down

ohstop

echo/alexa use when internet is down
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »
When the Internet is down but I still have WiFi (router works), can I still use echo/alexa as room to room intercom andfor music streaming (from PC or iphone, ipod)?

Alpha Bitch

Re: echo/alexa use when internet is down
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:55 pm »
Music w/o internet:  You can play music on your Alexa device(s) by using Bluetooth & wi-fi on your comps and/or mobile devices.

Not sure about "room to room intercom." I have no experience w/that.

mike27oct

Re: echo/alexa use when internet is down
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »
The best way to understand this is you have a router on that creates a network within the home,  You also have internet service in your home; but it is not essential for the home network to function UNLESS what you want to function is tied to internet for assist.  Like Alexa is for most of it's functions so when your internet is down, you are pretty much missing a good part of the utility of the home network.  Basically, when internet is down it is the same as not having it at all.

But, as mentioned using Bluetooth between alexa devices will still function since BT is not dependent on internet.  BT is a local wireless signal between local devices, so it works between Alexa devices as long as they are plugged in. So, for example, music sent from phone via BT to an Echo still works.