Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo 2 going offline and loosing wifi

mikee123

Echo 2 going offline and loosing wifi
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:38:48 am »
I have a old echo, a dot and since a few months a echo 2. The echo 2 occasionally does not respond when trying to send commands to the homeseer skill. It is not showing a red not connected led at the top. But when I look in my Alexa app, all but the echo 2 are online. The echo 2 is offline. The only way to get it working again, is set it up again. Which is a pain, especially as it normally doesnt work the first time. After I successfully set up my wifi again, all is good again (for a couple of weeks...) Connectivity to my wifi is no issue, the AP is in the same room, no obstacles, about 3m away... all the other echos and dots are a lot further and through walls and do not have this issue.

mike27oct

Re: Echo 2 going offline and loosing wifi
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:05:30 pm »
Alexa devices have a limited range for wi-fi, and sometimes devices at a weak wi-fi location cannot easily re-connect to wi-fi, or sometimes device totally forgets which wi-fi signal it was connected to.  I have had this happen a few times.  For, example, I restarted my router today and had issues with one Dot.  If it just can't connect the first thing to try is disconnect power to device for FIVE minutes to clear out any memory glitches.  It usually will connect again when powered up.  In the case of a Tap with issues last week, it completely lost track of it's assigned wi-fi, and I had to go through the wi-fi setup and reassign it a wi-fi signal again.  This was quite simple using Amazon's procedure to setup wi-fi from Alexa app.  This fixed the problem with the Tap.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:50 pm »
I have an Echo Dot that loses its WiFi connection every now and then while the 7 other Echos (including original, Dot, Show) throughout the house have never lost their connections. The interesting part is that the Dot is in a bathroom that's next to the room where the WiFi router is located, only about 12 feet away. All of the other Echo devices throughout the house are much farther away than that. When this particular Dot loses its connection, I just pull the power plug and it's back to normal for several more weeks.

mikee123

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:59 am »
I tried power cycling when that happens, but that didn't work for me, I have to set the wifi up again from scratch

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:06 pm »
JW, to occasionally drop the wifi connection is somewhat normal behavior.  But, to "forget" its assigned wifi connection is not.  So, I had to reconnect the Tap's wifi from scratch again using the setup button on rear of Tap. This has never happened on any of my devices.  If it continues to happen on same Tap, I will suspect this Tap now has issues