Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa noob setting up Harmony Hub control

AUSyTyIN

Alexa noob setting up Harmony Hub control
« on: February 10, 2018, 01:07:01 pm »
I've gotten kinda far on my own, but googling and trial and error can only get me so far.  My setup consist of a Harmony Hub, Samsung TV, Yamaha Receiver, Xfinity DVR (always on), Samsung 4k UHD player, PS4, NES mini, and SNES Mini.

First off, are "watch" and "play" protected words?  I can't seem to get any command to work that start with either of those words.

So far, I've gotten Alexa to "turn on/off TV", "turn on/off movie", and "have Harmony turn on/off Netflix" (via the 4K UHD player).  Why do I have to say "have Harmony" before my Netflix command?  I don't have to say it on any other commands that I have working yet.

I also have a weird issue when I say "turn on PS4".  It will occasionally say "ok, asking Harmony for secondary help, ok, secondary help" as the command is working perfectly.  Is there a  solution for this?

I have a few more questions, but I save those for another time.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa noob setting up Harmony Hub control
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:26:41 pm »
"Watch" is used by the Echo Show, Fire TV, and other devices that has been paired with a voice remote to watch video from Amazon Prime Video. It is a reserved word regardless of what Echo device you own. It doesn't work with Netflix or any other video content providers, although there was a hint that Netflix support might be coming.

"Play" is used by any Echo device to play audio from one of the built-in services like Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, I Heart Radio, TuneIn.

Built-in services are those that are part of the Echo without having to enable a skill.
Harmony is not a built-in service, thus it is a skill. As with most skills, you must ask for it by name. E.g. Alexa, ask Harmony to do something...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:13:58 pm by jwlv »

AUSyTyIN

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:43:36 pm »
So I have to say "ask harmony to turn on Netflix" (vs just "Turn on Netflix")  because Netflix is associated with devices that are built in skills?

dragon123

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
To get rid of the "ask harmony" part, use either the "blue" harmony skill, or if that one is not available/you want to use the red skill (it has its advantages) use the yonomi skill to shorten the commands.

Read this: http://www.aftvnews.com/logitech-updates-their-alexa-smart-home-skill-for-harmony-remotes-with-more-natural-commands/
and this: http://www.aftvnews.com/harmony-releases-second-alexa-skill-with-additional-functionality/

(You can use both the red and the blue skill if you want)

AUSyTyIN

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
I'm guessing yonomi will only work when my phone (the device with yonomi) is connected to the wifi? I'd like my wife to be able to use the same commands if I'm home or not.

dragon123

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »
I'm guessing yonomi will only work when my phone (the device with yonomi) is connected to the wifi? I'd like my wife to be able to use the same commands if I'm home or not.

No idea. You can try it and let us know  ;D

I don't think so though, but please do try. You could setup the same app on your wife's phone as well if it turns out you do need your phone@home.

Tony Chick

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 07:58:02 pm »
I have the skill added thru the app, and I just say "Alexa, Tune to NBC" or "Tune to Channel 4" and "Volume up" and "Volume down"

Drwoodr

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
I use “watch” as a command for my harmony hub no problem.  I set it up using the Alexa routines in the app. You just can’t have a fire tv device connected to the same echo device. I find “watch Netflix” more natural to say than “turn on Netflix”.