Echo & Alexa Forums

Music

lnw

Music
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:26:11 pm »
Just got the Echo 2 and am having trouble with Music.  If I register with my son's Amazon.ca prime account, the Music choices are only Amazon music, Spotify (which doesn't work unless you have the paid version) and Tunein (no account needed)

If instead I register with  my own Amazon.ca address I don't get the Amazon music choice (logical) but i also get to choose among iHeart Radio and Pandora.  Even though I am in Toronto, and Pandora generally isn't available in Canada, I can play music in my Pandora account.

I would like to have it all.  I tried registering in my name and then adding my son as a Household member (hoping to get access to  his Amazon music - he doesn't use it) as well as iHeart radio etc.  I couldn't add his name for some reason although, for test purposes I was easily able to add my wife's Amazon.ca account (no benefit in doing so) and then deleted it.

Help, and/or advice would be most appreciated

mike27oct

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:49:43 pm »
Is everyone involved registered for a Canadian Amazon account; especially your son? Also, is the Echo a Canadian Echo bought from Amazon.CA?  There are differences between devices and features between different countries, so if trying to cross pollinate countries, expect problems.

lnw

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:19 am »
Thanks for the reply
My son has a Canadian Amazon prime account and I have a regular Canadian Amazon account
My Echo 2 was purchased in the US.  I am in Toronto

Although the box indicates access to other music services, I only have Amazon Music (my son"s email in brackets) as well as Spotify (not usable as its not a premium account) and Tunein.
No iHeart radio, Pandora etc choices.  (I realize Pandora may/may not work in Canada)
Why are these other items omitted from the list of choices?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:45 pm »
According to several media outlets, Echo only supports Amazon Music and TuneIn for Canadians.
That means no Pandora, no iHeartRadio, and no Spotify. If you want the capabilities of US Echo devices, you must register your Echo device on Amazon.com (the US site) and not Amazon.ca (or the Canadian version of the app).

New features and support for 3rd party services are always introduced in the US initially. Support for other locations will come later. That is just the way it is.

If you want it now, register on the US site.

lnw

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Guess I can't get it all. My son's Amazon prime is Canadian only.  So, if I register on the US site, I could get iHeart radio but not Amazon prime music.
You have cleared up the cobwebs.  Too bad, the free Spotify won't work, it's very good, easier to create albums/stations
I am used to Apple products and their simple set up.  This Echo works ok now, but getting it going with the Calendar and all was a real pain.
Geared to US. Can get US stock info but not even TSX

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:21 pm »
You could buy a Canadian Dot, set it up and see how it goes for you.

dragon123

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:10:37 am »
You could buy a Canadian Dot, set it up and see how it goes for you.

There is no such thing as 'localised' echo hardware! The thing that matters is the localisation of the amazon account plus the address in said account (devices/settings). OK the power plugs vary, that is all. With adapters you can run a german echo in Canada no probs.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:20 am »
I said nothing about the hardware.  I simply made the "giant leap of faith" that a Dot sold in Canada is made to work in Canada.  So get a Canadian version of a Dot (instead of trying to get a US version to work in Canada).

lnw

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:32:17 pm »
As said my Echo came from US. I can enable and play Pandora in Canada. ???
But registering with my email address won't let me access any Amazon music
all works ok - had huge issues getting calendar to work, but it's ok now
Want to add adult son to household as he has Canadian prime. I deleted wife from Household, but now can't add son for 180 days. Yuk!!