Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and Harmony

auburn84

Alexa and Harmony
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:18:12 am »
Hey, all:

I've attached my Echo to Harmony to run my Smart TV and cable box (Charter Spectrum). It works great sometimes, and then for no reason at all (apparently) decides it can't perform those functions. Then, magically, it will start again. Is this an Echo problem or a Harmony problem. I have the basic Harmony hub, and I'm just wondering if it would work better if I upgraded my Harmony equipment.

Thanks!

Alec

Re: Alexa and Harmony
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:41:46 pm »
Hey, all:

I've attached my Echo to Harmony to run my Smart TV and cable box (Charter Spectrum). It works great sometimes, and then for no reason at all (apparently) decides it can't perform those functions. Then, magically, it will start again. Is this an Echo problem or a Harmony problem. I have the basic Harmony hub, and I'm just wondering if it would work better if I upgraded my Harmony equipment.

Thanks!

Alec

I'd be more suspecting of other items... I've been running a "basic" harmony hub for over a year and haven't had much issue with it at all, other than the learning curve to learn commands and operation at first. I set one up for my aunt and uncle shortly after I set mine up and they have constant internet service drop outs that DO cause issues for them on occasion. I also have both systems (mine and theirs) set up with the YONOMI app as well. funny thing... the YONOMI app is almost like there's nothing to it... but it seems to keep things working easier than just the Harmony Hub. I have one of the earlier "Smart" TV's by Toshiba and nothing about it is being used by the system. All of my audio is through the Sound bar and is one transmitted from the tV back to it through Optical cable... so all transmits through the same conduit basically... all of my video goes to the TV through "dongles" now. I use Google Chromecast (1st generation) and a Fire Stick to connect my TV to WIFI... I have noCable TV or Satellite, and I have no OTA Antenna set up either. On my in-laws' TV there is an OTA antenna for them to watch reruns and crap with (news I guess as well) and they have an Apple TV set up (2nd generation) that I let them use for Internet based content... I pay for Netflix for 2 screens at a time, and have Amazon Prime that has a ton of programming to choose from as well. With all these things going on at the house here... I have ZERO problems with a Basic Harmony Hub. I can't see how adding more Harmony stuff would help. Upgrading your internet speeds or provider... getting better more consistent streaming will probably be a choice that is more relevant.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:45:44 pm »
When you have problems with alexa, did you turn on the harmony or tv some other way? If you do that, alexa might not "know" it's on. Always using alexa to turn stuff on/off helps with that.

auburn84

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:31 pm »
Thank you for those answers, which are very helpful. I'm not having trouble turning it on or off. It's more like I can say "Alexa, turn to CNN," and it goes fine. Then five minutes later, I can say "Alexa, turn to CNN" and it says "That command doesn't work with this device." It's very off and on as far as working smoothly.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:04 am »
Add another layer of info to your command... or add YONOMI to your arsenal...

If you were today "Alexa, Tell Harmony to change to CNN" see if that works more consistently. Not just for a day, but give it a week... if you watch CNN that much...

If that does it, then YONOMI can change the command to the original one, except instead of "Turn" to CNN, use the command "CHANGE" to CNN... this helped me get through a bunch of issues with mine and My Aunt's systems.

It's not *what* you ask Alexa to do, It's *how* you ask... Just like any other woman <ducking>...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

fstbusa

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40:49 am »
I originally had my harmony hub set up with the echo.... I messed with a bunch of settings and now doesn't work.  I even tried to remove the integration between the two and tried again and now it doesn't work at all.... I've pretty much given up.  The little bit I used it, I realized it wasn't that important.

Robertgeller

Re: Alexa and Harmony won't let go
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
My harmony hub tends to hang on. I use the TV by voice, then turn it off by voice. Then I listen to music with echo and when I say "louder", for ecoh in its native mode, it says "harmony not responding".  Any ideas?