Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo can turn my lamp off, but not on.

chaspearl

Echo can turn my lamp off, but not on.
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:03 am »
I set up my desk lamp with the Kasa smart plug that came with a new dot I got my mother for Christmas.  Setup went fine, the lamp shows up in the Kasa app, it works.  Problem is, I can't turn the lamp on.  Echo says "okay" when I say turn it on.  I go to the Kasa app and it shows as being on.  The indicator on the lamp icon in the app is green.  Only the lamp is not on.  If I click on the app to turn it off, it goes off and the indicator greys out -- and then I can't get it back on again, clicking it back on turns the button green but doesn't turn the lamp on.  It's infuriating because I'm disabled and I cannot physically reach the lamp, I need this to work.  I have no issues with my other Kasa plugs around the house.

Re: Echo can turn my lamp off, but not on.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »
do you have another lamp, fan or something you can test the Kasa switch on?  I also found on some devices, if they have any type of digital on/off switch, there can be issues with turning them on.   

for example, I have a floor fan with remote control, it will not come on with alexa, but like your lamp, it will turn off.  you must be able to leave the fan on in order for alexa to work but when it powers off with alexa, it automatically turns the fan switch off too which makes it useless for alexa.  there is a chance something similar is happening with your lamp.