Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

New router - cannot change wi-fi settings

geordienz

New router - cannot change wi-fi settings
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:15:37 am »
I cannot see the Alexa network on my phone - I need to change the settings for my Echo Dot since I got a new router.  Why can't these things be simple?

Offline jwlv

Re: New router - cannot change wi-fi settings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »
If your echo was already set up then obviously the alexa network is gone. It's a security issue. You wouldn't want your Alexa network left open for someone else to connect to after you've already set it up. To change the wifi settings of your echo, you can use the Alexa app. That assumes you still have the old router. If you don't then you need to reset the echo. Just do a search on how to reset an echo.  It's quite simple.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
I usually use the same wifi settings on new routers.  this way all you may have to do is a power cycle on your echo devices. 

however, to get to the wifi settings, in the alexa app, go to settings, click on the echo device,  then you should see update wifi.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »
I would have thought the same to use the Alexa app, too; until last week when for the first time, one of my many Alexa devices (a Tap) lost the saved wi-fi connection. So app could not fix things.  I had to actually reset the wi-fi setup and reconnect Tap to the wi-fi signal again.  I think the OP needs to do the same thing and use buttons and procedures to do this as well. I do not recall what I would have to do to do this with a Dot, so here is the link to Amazons handy Device Help area:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

FInd your device and read how to connect to the wi-fi since it is a different wi-fi now.

geordienz

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »
If your echo was already set up then obviously the alexa network is gone. It's a security issue. You wouldn't want your Alexa network left open for someone else to connect to after you've already set it up. To change the wifi settings of your echo, you can use the Alexa app. That assumes you still have the old router. If you don't then you need to reset the echo. Just do a search on how to reset an echo.  It's quite simple.

Thanks for your response.
That is quite an assumption.
It's quite simple if things behave as Amazon tells you they should.  I couldn't find anywhere where it told me to reset. I wouldn't have thought it was such an unusual occurrence to have to set up connection to a new router that Amazon couldn't have relevant instructions within the main blurb.

geordienz

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »
I usually use the same wifi settings on new routers.  this way all you may have to do is a power cycle on your echo devices. 

however, to get to the wifi settings, in the alexa app, go to settings, click on the echo device,  then you should see update wifi.

Thanks for your response.
Update wi-fi was just the start of my problems, but reset fixed it :)

geordienz

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:24 pm »
I would have thought the same to use the Alexa app, too; until last week when for the first time, one of my many Alexa devices (a Tap) lost the saved wi-fi connection. So app could not fix things.  I had to actually reset the wi-fi setup and reconnect Tap to the wi-fi signal again.  I think the OP needs to do the same thing and use buttons and procedures to do this as well. I do not recall what I would have to do to do this with a Dot, so here is the link to Amazons handy Device Help area:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

FInd your device and read how to connect to the wi-fi since it is a different wi-fi now.

You are dead right (thanks for the empathy :) ) - all fixed now with reset and reconnect.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »
Glad you are working now.
Glad you are working now.
Glad it's working now.

FYI, Amazon support is often "clueless" and gives an incorrect solution.
Like they did the other day and gave bad advice to my wife. I told her, next time ask me!)
She wanted to play amazon prime video show on her new iPad and could not sign in. and wrote to Amazon for help.  They told her to have me, the account owner, add her as a household member.  I told her she already was added when SHE did it over a year ago.  I told her to get her OLDER iPad because she could use Amazon prime video on it. and it worked. and that I had the solution.  I signed her in to MY amazon account on the iPad, and it began to work.  (How would Amazon know it was not MY second iPad!)  So, the problem was with her NEW iPad, so I signed into my Amazon account on it, and all began working fine. 
The Amazon rep should have given her my solution and not BS!