Echo & Alexa Forums

Can't get Drop in to work

bains1000

Can't get Drop in to work
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:35:10 pm »
Hi

I have 2 dots and 2 Show's and i can't get drop in to work.  All I get told is to go to the Alexa app and add contacts but I have all my devices under the one account and I don't want to drop in on a friend, I just want to be able to use the devices as an Intercom.

Am I missing something obvious in the setup?
I have enabled Drop in on my Household in the app for all the devices.

Thanks

Offline jwlv

Re: Can't get Drop in to work
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:58:53 pm »
For drop-in, you don't need to use any of your contacts or even give Alexa permission to read your contact list.
Assuming that your Echo devices already has names (rather name Echo 1, Echo2, etc.) all you have to say is "Alexa, drop in on [name of device]." For me, I have half a dozen Echo devices and even an Echo Dot in the car. The name of the Echo Dot is "car".  So if my gf is driving in the car and I'm at home, I can say "Drop in on car" and I can speak to her while she drives.

bains1000

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:46 am »
I thought this would be the case but all I get every time I try to drop in is the following message:

"To Drop in on one of your devices go to the Alexa app choose your contact name and enable drop in"

I'm not sure what I am missing to get this working, i have all my devices named differently!!

This is driving me mad!!

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:22:15 pm »
https://www.imore.com/how-use-amazon-echo-speakers-and-alexa-intercoms

Might be worth doing everything suggested in the above article if you haven't done so already. Good luck.

Laurel

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:31:01 pm »
I have 2 Echo Shows, 1 Echo and 1 Tap and I followed that procedure and they all are in house intercoms and work fine that way.  I don't use them as a drop in to Alexa devices outside of my home.

bains1000

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:04 pm »
Thanks Laurel for the link, I had missed the step of clicking on myself and enabling drop in.

Thank you for your help, All working now.

Laurel

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:10 pm »
Thanks Laurel for the link, I had missed the step of clicking on myself and enabling drop in.

Thank you for your help, All working now.

Glad that it worked out!  Thanks for letting me know.