Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot having issue controlling TP-Link smart switch

wilit

Echo Dot having issue controlling TP-Link smart switch
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:04:32 pm »
Hi all,

I'm having an issue getting my Echo Dot to control a TP-Link HS200 light switch correctly. I have set up the switch, named front porch, in the Kasa app and allowed remote control. I've added the Kasa skill to Alexa through the app. I can successfully turn the switch on and off via the app. However, when I ask Alexa to "turn on front porch" she says she can't find the device. I've tried re-naming the switch and re-discovering it. It works just the same as before. Can control the switch through the Alexa app, but the dot cannot find the device.

The dot is set up under my wife's account, and I added myself to the household. I was able to set up link our Fire TV through the app on my phone, so I believe the dot is linked to both of our accounts correctly. Not sure where to go from here.

dragon123

Re: Echo Dot having issue controlling TP-Link smart switch
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:29:13 pm »
Does "Ask kasa to turn on front porch" work?

If so, you could use yonomi skill to shorten the commands.

wilit

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
Just tried it. Nope. Ask Kasa doesn't work either.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:41:34 pm »
Did you tell ALexa "Discover devices". probably not, so get that working on Alexa app.  Seems you have kasa working right.

wilit

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:37 pm »
Probably not 100% clear in my original post, but I can turn the switch on and off via the Alexa app. The Alexa app works perfectly fine.  Voice commands on the other hand will not work.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:43:29 pm »
You might also check for the latest version for Alexa app and also for the latest version of the firmware for the switch.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:29:12 am »
JW, thanks for the reminder about the firmware for the TP Link plugs.  I had forgotten about them since they did not need updates when I got them.  In the Kasa app settings I needed to update the mini plugs and a smart plug.  All installed fine.

Afterward, Kasa app could not turn them off and on, (but Alexa could) and whenever anything weird like this (rarely) happens I just remove the plugs for a moment and plug back in so device makes a good wi-fi connection again to router.  Also asked Alexa to discover devices.  After all this, it all worked correctly again with Kasa app, Alexa and Google Home.

wilit

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:09:51 pm »
Firmware and apps are up to date.

I just tried deleting the device from the Alexa app and asking the dot to discover devices. It could not discover the switch. I opened the app back up, re-discovered it and can control it fine, but the dot still cannot find the device.

I'm thinking there has to be some sort of linking error between the dot which was set up on my wife's account and the device which I set up with my phone/account, even though we are both set up on the same household.

wilit

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:05:20 am »
So, in case anyone runs across this thread looking for help, here's the resolution.

I think the issue was the dot was set up on my wife's phone and registered to her account. Even though I set up my phone on the dot under the same household, it just didn't work right. So I deregistered the dot and set it up on my phone then did a fresh discovery of the smart switch. Now it works as it should.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:50:55 pm »
Thanls for the rest of the story!