Echo & Alexa Forums

Echos starting chat and music on their own

Tony Chick

Echos starting chat and music on their own
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »
Last night I was watching TV when the Echo Dot in the same room just started talking, apparently wanting me to chat with
a "social bot", the blue ring never lit & checking History in the app showed no voice command was heard. At the exact same time, the Echo in the kitchen started to play music, again history showed no voice command asking it to that. I finally got the bot to stop after it kept asking me how I was liking the chat, and I went to the kitchen and told that Echo to stop playing. History shows it heard me stopping both, but no corresponding "start" command was heard.

Its getting annoying having them start activities all by themselves with no voice commands heard. Anyone have an idea how to track down whats going on?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echos starting chat and music on their own
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »
Only thing I can suggest is to do the voice training so that your devices know your voice and not whatever is coming out of the TV.

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:33:10 pm »
I've had my dot activate a number of times when I had the wake word set to "computer" in the same room as the TV... That word comes up a lot on TV  ::)

Try setting it to "Echo" and see what happens...

Tony Chick

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »
If it was waking and hearing commands from some other source like the TV, I should see that in the History for those devices in the Alexa app but I don't, plus the blue ring didn't light indicating it had woken up and was sending to the cloud. The only commands listed are me telling it to stop with nothing before that

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:42:53 am »
If it was from the TV, you'd more likely see something in history like, 'Text not available, click to play recording'. That will give you a very short audio clip of what woke your device up. It might also say 'Voice request not intended for your Echo—nothing was returned', but if yours was responding, then something was returned. Anyway, maybe check that out. I have a cough at the moment and my Echo wakes up regularly, sometimes telling me it doesn't understand. No help there then!