Echo & Alexa Forums

How far does the mic pick up?

dannieboiz

How far does the mic pick up?
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:18:20 pm »
Looking to pick up an Echo to integrate to my home automation (Vera). We have a decent size house and would like to be able to control Vera from multiple parts of the home. I read that you can pair a remote with it but it would require the main unit's mic to be disable. I find this not the most fluent way. Can you expand mic coverage using additional parts and have everything listening at all times?

mike27oct

Re: How far does the mic pick up?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:12 pm »
First off, the Echo's mic array consists of 7 mics in a ring at top.  It is best that am Echo be centrally located and far enough from walls so that it picks up sound from most all directions.  We can get Alexa to respond since it is downstairs on end table, we have an open walkway above Alexa where we can communicate well with it enough that it works for us, and we have the remote we rarely use.  The remote for the Echo has been temporarily out stock for a long time, and finding one at any price is now likely most difficult. (other than a few offers recently made here of 1 million bucks -- in jest).  Some folks report here of using an intercom or baby monitor to communicate with Alexa when she gets hard of hearing.  I'd say, the more open you home's inside is, the better it is for the Echo.

JackStewart

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:14 am »
First off, the Echo's mic array consists of 7 mics in a ring at top.  It is best that am Echo be centrally located and far enough from walls so that it picks up sound from most all directions.  We can get Alexa to respond since it is downstairs on end table, we have an open walkway above Alexa where we can communicate well with it enough that it works for us, and we have the remote we rarely use.  The remote for the Echo has been temporarily out stock for a long time, and finding one at any price is now likely most difficult. (other than a few offers recently made here of 1 million bucks -- in jest).  Some folks report here of using an intercom or baby monitor to communicate with Alexa when she gets hard of hearing.  I'd say, the more open you home's inside is, the better it is for the Echo.

Hi Mike--

In the past few months Amazon began again to offer the remote for the Echo. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo-Dot/dp/B01E9AHU8Q?ie=UTF8&keywords=echo%20remote&qid=1463058890&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13

J

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
Thanks, we knew that, and we also have a remote -- that we hardly use since our Echo and Dots around hear us well.  Other who need a remote may not know the remote is available again.  I would not be surprised to know the remote was redesigned since Amazon was out of stock for a few months, but who knows.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »
It is a 2nd Gen... but don't know what's different about it.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:56 pm »
  In the past few months Amazon began again to offer the remote for the Echo. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo-Dot/dp/B01E9AHU8Q?ie=UTF8&keywords=echo%20remote&qid=1463058890&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13

J

It's nice to see the voice remote back in stock for $29.99. It's now listed as "New Generation" -- I wonder what's the difference from the old generation?