Echo & Alexa Forums

Most Useful Echo Features

leehop71

Most Useful Echo Features
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:39:26 pm »
Let me first say, thanks for patience and understanding. I will probably get one of these, but I just like to research things I know nothing about.

Does anyone have any 'favorite features' that you seem to use the most?

mike27oct

Re: Most Useful Echo Features
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:43:09 am »
Let's see. favorite things we like -- lots of things, but we listen to Tunein Radio often, we use shopping list and to do list a lot. send out music to it via Bluetooth, ask it lots of questions; like about the weather, and ask about facts and info..Oh, and don't forget the timer that helps us get stuff out of dryer that needs to come out early!

Many people like the home automation features to turn things off and on, and we will dabble in that soon.

Best thing about it is, it is there when we need it for all the things it can do.

leehop71

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:18 am »
Let's see. favorite things we like -- lots of things, but we listen to Tunein Radio often, we use shopping list and to do list a lot. send out music to it via Bluetooth, ask it lots of questions; like about the weather, and ask about facts and info..Oh, and don't forget the timer that helps us get stuff out of dryer that needs to come out early!

Many people like the home automation features to turn things off and on, and we will dabble in that soon.

Best thing about it is, it is there when we need it for all the things it can do.

Thanks Mike.  That's pretty much how I see our family using it.  I'm not interested in the lights on and off feature, but will like the ability to use it in place of Google on some things.

The grocery list and To Do Features are very useful, and the timer for cooking and such!

Atomicpapa

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »
Don't knock the lights on and off feature until you try it. :-)  I absolutely love being able to walk by it as I come back in from dropping off the kids at school and saying "Alexa, turn off the front porch light" or when the kids have left all their lights on, "Alexa, turn off all the kids lights". It's integration in my HA system is fantastic, but maybe I'm a little geeky that way. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

leehop71

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »
Don't knock the lights on and off feature until you try it. :-)  I absolutely love being able to walk by it as I come back in from dropping off the kids at school and saying "Alexa, turn off the front porch light" or when the kids have left all their lights on, "Alexa, turn off all the kids lights". It's integration in my HA system is fantastic, but maybe I'm a little geeky that way. :-)

Atom,

What's the cheapest way to go to get lighting configured?

Atomicpapa

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 05:55:14 pm »
Probably the Hue hub with Cree bulbs. I have Smarttings with the Cree bulbs but the ST hub is more than the Hue.

leehop71

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »
Probably the Hue hub with Cree bulbs. I have Smarttings with the Cree bulbs but the ST hub is more than the Hue.

Just getting the Hue and appropriate Cree bulbs is all?  Is there an app involved?  How would you get the Echo to function from the Hub, knowing which lights are which?

leehop71

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »
Just getting a setup for my porch and outdoor garage lights would be nice.  Already have the garage door opener monitoring system.

Atomicpapa

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »

Just getting the Hue and appropriate Cree bulbs is all?  Is there an app involved?  How would you get the Echo to function from the Hub, knowing which lights are which?
Using the Alexa app, you link the Hue in Connected Things in Settings

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 05:39:43 pm »
The alarm, timer, sleep timer, and ability to play IHeartRadio and TuneIn station are the most useful features to me.
-Paul.