Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and Kevo

carlitto74uk

Alexa and Kevo
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:11:30 pm »
Hi All,
New to forums so bear with me. Located in UK and just bought Echo Plus 2 days ago. Trying to find Kevo skill and there is none despite the company (kevo) insists there is one as the skill has been certified by Amazon. Only thing I can think of is that Kevo locks are not sold in UK or Europe (got mine from States) hence the skill would not show up if Alexa app is detected as being used in UK. Any ideas?

dragon123

Re: Alexa and Kevo
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:36:40 am »
To quote mywelf:

Which country is your account set to?

I set mine to USA after getting tired of new stuff not showing up in German/UK accounts...

Of course I live in a non-Alexa country so I can switch countries as much as I like as I cannot use 'local' skills anyway ( :'(). But if that is an option, you could try switching... (Note: all skills that require account linking have to be linked again if you switch countries)

That likely is your problem.

Unfortunately if you do live in an Alexa country like you do, changing countries would mean you not being able to use local skills. So for the moment, sound like it's one or the other   :(

carlitto74uk

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:11:37 am »
Tks for that. The skills I use on a daily basis are related to Home Automation and the only local skill I use is Uber but I guess I can live without it and use the phone for it as before  :).  So if I create a different account (i. e. .com not .co.uk) located in US and re-link it the Echo Plus it should work you reckon?

carlitto74uk

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:38 am »
Update: I created a new Amazon account with US address, US time, US credit card etc. The Kevo skill still does not show up. Can anyone of you physically located in the States check whether the Kevo shows in Skills? Tks so much

dragon123

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:50:42 am »
Update: I created a new Amazon account with US address, US time, US credit card etc. The Kevo skill still does not show up. Can anyone of you physically located in the States check whether the Kevo shows in Skills? Tks so much

Yes, actually there are 2:

Did you set a US address on the amazon website under settings/devices? THAT is the address that determines the country.

your account > Content and devices > Settings > Country Settings
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:53:37 am by dragon123 »

carlitto74uk

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 04:54:19 pm »
Tks a lot dragon123 I followed your instructions and found Kevo skill and installed. I have reverted to initial country settings (UK) after that and the skill is still there and it works. I have also tested that going from the smartphone directly to the skill web address which is https://skills-store.amazon.com/deeplink/dp/B01N0TC04R?deviceType=app&share&refSuffix=ss_copy without changing country will still make the skill visible and available for installation. Tks again dragon123

carlitto74uk

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:58 pm »
Now the only thing I have to figure re: Kevo is how to unlock it using Alexa. It currently executes the other commands ("lock front door", "check front door") but it will not unlock despite I set up a PIN as promted when enabling the skill. Alexa's reply on "unlock front door" is "I cannot unlock smart devices yet". For now I will wait 24h to see if it changes. Any ideas? Tks

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:14:31 am »
Don't hold your breath. Although Alexa has the ability to unlock any security device it is very unlikely that Amazon will enable that. It's just too much of a risk to unlock a security device just by voice.