Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot not able to connect to WIFI

casaclaudia

Echo Dot not able to connect to WIFI
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:31 am »
Have had an Echo Dot for a month. I only have wifi on my iphone as my personal hotspot through ATT. No choice on this, it is what I use (very successfully on everything else).

I used it successfully for a month. NOW it WILL NOT connect to the hotspot. As soon as I choose Personal Hotspot, my 'wifi' signal on my iphone goes back to LTE, and then will not connect to the hotspot.   So very frustrating this is.

Thoughts: the only thing I can think of is that iphone has had an update, and Alexa  App has too, I believe, all is up to date.
Help?

mike27oct

Re: Echo Dot not able to connect to WIFI
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:47 pm »
The Alexa devices are not intended to connect to hotspots (especially for any extended period of time). They are intended to connect to a permanent wi-fi signal from a router with internet signal from an Internet Service Provider (ISP)  So, you are lucky it lasted working as long as it did on the hotspot.

Your only recourse is to setup permanent wi-fi, or reconnect the Dot to the hotspot signal as you did at first using the procedure you used to initially set it up, and use it until it breaks down again.

Also, using the hotspot uses your data plan, so using it this way may have done $$$ damage to your cell plan, so wait until your next cell phone bill to see how much it increased!