Echo & Alexa Forums

Looking for temperature monitoring

Xaosmaster

Looking for temperature monitoring
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:34:01 am »
Hello all.

I am looking to see if anyone has a Alexa-compatible thermometer that works well.  I am having heating/cooling loss in my house somewhere so I want to set up a thermometer in each room that I can monitor remotely or ask Alexa what the temp is in each room. The reason being is that I want to move the thermometers around different parts of each room to test where the temp change is.  Any help appreciated.

Re: Looking for temperature monitoring
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:11:42 pm »
If you were to Set up Smart lighting in your home using the HUE stuff by Philips... they offer these cool motion sensors that actually give temperature read out on an iPhone in the Apple Home Kit App... Pretty cool but very expensive to set up as a Temp monitoring system... but Hey... if you have the money and are already on the Hue Train it's just a few hundred bucks to cover an average house... LOL

It might be cheaper however, to buy an IR temperature gun (That's Infrared) and you point a laser at an item and follow the distance to spot ratio  directions and you can get instant readings all around the house for a few bucks... They even sell some pretty cheap ones at Harbor freight... probably 20 bucks or less.

we have a single motion sensor in our closet to turn on lights for my wife while she's carrying arm loads of laundry (or me for that matter... not her carrying me, but maybe me carrying laundry)... It shows our bedroom closet a smooth  15-20 degrees lower than the bedroom in the cold months... Summer months about 8-10 degrees warmer in the closet...

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

starrin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:00 am »
Ever though of trying something else  -  like a thermal leak detector  -  Alexa may not be the solution to every problem:  https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-TLD100-Thermal-Detector/dp/B0044R87BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517931121&sr=8-1&keywords=ir+heat+loss+tester

Hockey_Magnet

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:39 pm »
If you don't already have a smart thermostat, check out the Ecobee . You can add multiple smart sensors so you can add 1 per room. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure you can see the temperature in each room since it allows you to set a temperature for each sensor. . It is fully Alexa compatible. Their support is pretty good so if you drop them an email, that can confirm if this meets your needs. But at the same time, if you just go from room to room with a good instant read thermometer or an inexpensive thermal leak detector as mentioned above, you should be able to find the problem without needing an elaborate and expensive solution.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:42:32 pm by Hockey_Magnet »

Xaosmaster

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:53:56 pm »
Ever though of trying something else  -  like a thermal leak detector  -  Alexa may not be the solution to every problem:  https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-TLD100-Thermal-Detector/dp/B0044R87BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517931121&sr=8-1&keywords=ir+heat+loss+tester

This may be just the ticket.  I was looking for a way I could monitor the whole house from 1 place, though.  Maybe even be able to look at it on my phone while I'm out.  Problem is that the temp seems to change at certain points of the day in different parts of the house, and I want to log what is going on.  I just bought the house and I am trying to see if I am having a problem with ductwork, insulation, or just the sun shining in during certain points.  Was trying to avoid paying an expert like $1000 to do something I may be able to do myself.

Xaosmaster

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »
If you don't already have a smart thermostat, check out the Ecobee . You can add multiple smart sensors so you can add 1 per room. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure you can see the temperature in each room since it allows you to set a temperature for each sensor. . It is fully Alexa compatible. Their support is pretty good so if you drop them an email, that can confirm if this meets your needs. But at the same time, if you just go from room to room with a good instant read thermometer or an inexpensive thermal leak detector as mentioned above, you should be able to find the problem without needing an elaborate and expensive solution.
I have a smart thermostat from Honeywell. Their peripherals are really expensive, though, and their support sucks.  I might look into this.  Thanks :)