Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Uses for a bricked Echo Show?

Uses for a bricked Echo Show?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »
I have an Echo Show that is effectively bricked (not registered because the post office screwed up and delivered it super late after a replacement had already been delivered). Amazon can re-activate it for a charge, but I donít really need a second one, and they donít want it back.

My question - is there anything else I can do with it as an un-registered item? It seems a shame to waste all of the cool hardware in it. I didnít know ITV you could hack or root it (Iím not super tech-savvy...)

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
Re: Uses for a bricked Echo Show?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:28:11 pm »
You could search online for a tear-down guy and send it to him for dissection. He/she will have a nice time to break it down into components and tell you what's the cost price of the show based on the components used.
Echo Dot @ SG

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:38 am »
I'm presuming the reactivation charge costs less than a new Show, so, give it to a family member/friend or sell it..?
My Alexa stuff:
Echo Show, Echo Spot, 4 Echo Dots, Fire TV, Fire tablet,
Vobot Alarmclock, Logitech Harmony Hub, house full of Hue lights,
Ring 1+2 doorbells, Tado smart thermostat, Plex server.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:51 am »
Interesting. Didn't know you can't just register any echo now? You have to pay? While it is good news it's theft deterrent, I am sure I would be happy to accept it as a challenge.

That's my kind of thing. To find out how to work around those 'locked' device.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »
Interesting. Didn't know you can't just register any echo now? You have to pay? While it is good news it's theft deterrent, I am sure I would be happy to accept it as a challenge.

That's my kind of thing. To find out how to work around those 'locked' device.

it could be only because it was not paid for to begin with.