Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo and Dot in the same household

jbirney

Echo and Dot in the same household
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:57 am »
I was given an Amazon Echo for Christmas. That device "lives" on the first floor of our house. Recently. my children gave me an Amazon Dot, which I have placed on the second floor of my house. How do I have them work separately? I'd like to use the upstairs Dot when my  husband is downstairs watching TV and doesn't want to be disturbed by Echo. And vice versa. Is there any way to enable one or the other at the same time? Or do I just have to keep one offline while using the other? Thanks in advance.

dragon123

Re: Echo and Dot in the same household
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:56:57 pm »
I was given an Amazon Echo for Christmas. That device "lives" on the first floor of our house. Recently. my children gave me an Amazon Dot, which I have placed on the second floor of my house. How do I have them work separately? I'd like to use the upstairs Dot when my  husband is downstairs watching TV and doesn't want to be disturbed by Echo. And vice versa. Is there any way to enable one or the other at the same time? Or do I just have to keep one offline while using the other? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean "doesn't want to be disturbed by Echo"?

Most of Alexa's functions will only "target" the Echo you are speaking to directly. Unless you ask it to play music "everywhere" or some similar function, or you have multiple echos really close together with the same wakeword, you can have the whole house full of Echos and they will not "interfere" with each other.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
Many of us have multiple Alexa devices.  I, for example, have one Echo and seven Dots working throughout a two-story house, and they all "work separately". What exactly is disturbing you about your two devices?

dognose

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:33 pm »

No matter how many echos you have arround, every Echo "hearing" you will be activated. However they then "negotiate" which Echo is the "closest" - and every other echo will just turn off, leaving the one closest to you to process your command.