Echo & Alexa Forums

Re-naming bulbs

ALLEN

Re-naming bulbs
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:52 am »
In the beginning I named two Philips reg white bulbs, 1: couch lamp  2: chair lamp.  Then later took them out and replaced them with Philips color bulbs and named them, 1: couch lamp  2: chair lamp (same names).  Is there anyway to re-name the original white ones since they have the same name as ones already in my app?  Thanks.

Re: Re-naming bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:10 pm »
In the hue app it will allow you to rename any light you have and some. can have the same names even... you may not have great results using AI and Hue lights that are all named the same, but the Hue app will work with them fairly well. I did pretty much what you are describing and changed the names in the Hue app so I could identify them and use them in another room.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mindmagic

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:51 am »
I've changed Hue bulb names several times. I never use the word "lamp" or "light" as part of the name; it's not necessary and will only confuse Alexa. After renaming in the Hue app you'll need to put Alexa through the discovery process again.

Wvnutt

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:21 am »
If you can also rename the bulbs directly in the Alexa app under Smart Home › Devices › [Device] › Edit.

DroMike

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:16:10 pm »
Yes, your Hue lights app will allow you full edit/modification rights on all of your lights, that is both the "room" names and the names of your lights (which like me, you seem to have kept numerically).