Echo & Alexa Forums

Unable to Cancel Alarm

revsev62

Unable to Cancel Alarm
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:57 am »
When I first got the Dot I programmed an alarm to go off in the morning.  It was set to the simple alarm sound.  I then learned to program an alarm to wake me to whatever I'd like.  So, I did that.  The first alarm continued to go off.  So, I asked Alexa to cancel all alarms, and after confirming that had been done, I set one alarm to my music.  Well, as you may have guessed that first alarm continues to go off every morning.  I have tried resetting the Dot twice, but still that first alarm (which does not show up in the settings section of the homepage) still goes off!  I'm about to return the Dot, is there anything else I can try?

StevenR

Re: Unable to Cancel Alarm
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:52:11 am »
Are you a member of an Amazon Household? If so try saying "Alexa, switch account" before asking "Alexa, cancel all alarms" to cancel alarms on the other account.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:21:07 pm »
did you trying saying something like "cancel 5 am alarm"

another way is to go to alexas website, go to the alarms section and slide the slider to off. 

revsev62

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:42 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I have tried to cancel the specific alarm - but it keeps telling me that I have no alarms set.  We'll see tomorrow.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:55:25 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I have tried to cancel the specific alarm - but it keeps telling me that I have no alarms set.  We'll see tomorrow.

Did you use the web page or the phone app? it makes a difference on many things as to what can be seen and/or modified. I find the web page has more capabilities and use it the most to make changes to my Echos.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

revsev62

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:16 am »
Yes, I've used both, and yes, I do find the online site easier and more comprehensive.  Thank you.

revsev62

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:44 am »
FIXED!!  After requesting a replacement (which Amazon did), I found out what the issue was to begin with.  I feel so foolish!  The other morning I had to wake up earlier than usual and after a little bit realized I was within five minutes of when my usual would go off, so I waited.  Now to the prequel: When I purchased the iHome clock/speaker system for the Dot I took my old clock radio offline and put on top of my dresser in case the new system didn't work.  I failed to realize that the backup battery in my old radio would activate my alarm regardless of being plugged in, but would only go off for five seconds.  So, after waiting five minutes that old alarm went off as it had been, having nothing to do with the Echo.  But being where it was, the beeping sounded like it was coming from the Dot, and after five seconds of yelling at Alexa to stop, she finally would.  Oh my goodness, color me red!  Thank you who patiently suggested fixes.  Deeply appreciated.

DroMike

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
I presume you're not talking about the actual audible alarm going off (for which you'd simply say, "[Alexa] [Echo], stop."  If you haven't corrected this issue one of these two things will work:

(1)  Unplug your Echo at the base; wait 3 minutes, replug it back in, allow it 1 minute to reset; or -- if you have all of five minutes to kill,

(2)  Simply go to your Amazon web page and de-register your device. Then set it up again as if you just brought it into the house (it will retain all settings).  This will definitely correct the issue.

Laurel

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »
FIXED!!  After requesting a replacement (which Amazon did), I found out what the issue was to begin with.  I feel so foolish!  The other morning I had to wake up earlier than usual and after a little bit realized I was within five minutes of when my usual would go off, so I waited.  Now to the prequel: When I purchased the iHome clock/speaker system for the Dot I took my old clock radio offline and put on top of my dresser in case the new system didn't work.  I failed to realize that the backup battery in my old radio would activate my alarm regardless of being plugged in, but would only go off for five seconds.  So, after waiting five minutes that old alarm went off as it had been, having nothing to do with the Echo.  But being where it was, the beeping sounded like it was coming from the Dot, and after five seconds of yelling at Alexa to stop, she finally would.  Oh my goodness, color me red!  Thank you who patiently suggested fixes.  Deeply appreciated.

That is a good one!  lol  Glad you got it figured out.