Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo devices bandwidth usage

pman2018

Amazon Echo devices bandwidth usage
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:29 pm »
I have a Plume WiFi network which is a series of PODS interconnected.  The Plume App lets me see the bandwidth used by device for the last 24 hours, 7 days and 30 days.  It is showing that my echo devices are consuming a large amount of bandwidth for pretty much doing nothing. Collectively the 6 devices consumed 30 GB of data over 30 days (it appears in both directions). I'm on a WISP where I get 120 GB/30 days and having my echo devices using 25% of my allotment is obscene. I contacted Amazon support and the person was nice but useless.  You would think that Amazon would have some measurements of bandwidth usage in an idle state.  I can't rule out that Plume is not measuring it correctly but my ASUS router, at a macro level matches up.  If anyone has a router that measures usage at the IP level it would be great if they could see what their echo dots are using per 30 days.  If this indeed is the case I will be scraping all of these Echos and trying another vendor's device, probably google.

mike27oct

Re: Amazon Echo devices bandwidth usage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:41:32 pm »
I have an ASUS router that shows graphically the data stream bandwidth stats.  I have over 4o devices connected to network and eight of them are Dots and Echo.  The average bandwidth is negligible; under 10 kb/s much of the time,  I can tell you that the Alexa devices use very little bandwidth when on cruise control, and they are not causing your problem.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:49:46 am by mike27oct »

pman2018

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
Thanks mike27oct.  I moved one echo dot to the 2.4 Hz on my ASUS router making it the only wireless device on the ASUS router (all the other WiFi is going through my Plume network).  I'm going to give it 24 hours to see how much data was sent and received to this dot on ASUS wifi.  Going to the echo dot I show .42 KB/s which seems high for an inactive device. I'll see what I get for a 24 hour period.

Update 24 hours later:  Since I was using Plume for all of my WiFi, I turned the ASUS 2.4 GHz router back on and reset 1 echo dot and set it up to use the ASUS 2.4 GHz wireless.  So the single echo dot is the only device that is using the ASUS wireless router.  For 24 hours I get 4,150.95 KB sent and 30.55 MB received.  During this 24 hour period I only issued two Alex commands so most of this traffic is in an idle state. So for a month this would be close to 1 GB of data which I feel is still a lot but not what the Plume metrics were reporting (3 GB/30 days) with one DOT using 13 GB.  So it is back over to Plume to see if they feel their metrics are off.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:42:28 pm by pman2018 »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
That seems to be a bit much. I have 2 original Echos, 3 Dots, and 2 Echo Shows around the house. My total bandwidth for the last 30 days for all of the Echos is approx 3GB down and less than 0.5GB up. To put things in perspective, our Netflix viewing accounted for 36GB down, 0.7GB up in the last 30 days. I have Netflix configured to the medium bandwidth setting which according to them is about 0.7GB per hour. Everyone in my house has the habit of stopping whatever they're streaming when they are done. On Netflix, pause it or go to the home screen. On Echo, tell Alexa to stop.

benreaves

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:57:23 pm »
Did you find out what caused the upload bandwidth usage? I'm having a similar problem, using t-mobile Acatel wifi hotspot and I see 6.4MB around 4AM. I wasn't awake then, this Echo Show is the only device on that hotspot. Did it misrecognize a snore as an Alexa?

Sleipnir989

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:34 pm »
I realize this discussion is years old at this point, but I'd like to point out they weren't crazy it's an issue I'm having as well. It's been pretty steady at 290-300 Mbps, both upload and download.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1rJZMcX

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 10:47:03 am »
I realize this discussion is years old at this point, but I'd like to point out they weren't crazy it's an issue I'm having as well. It's been pretty steady at 290-300 Mbps, both upload and download.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1rJZMcX

you are confused.  what you posted is the internet connection speed, what they are talking about is data usage. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:13:14 pm by renegade600 »