Echo & Alexa Forums

Check out my ceiling/wall mount

mountforecho

Check out my ceiling/wall mount
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:02:34 am »
What types of mounts do you guys use? After months of not finding anything that fit my requirements I have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlABKQ58hfM mounted on my ceiling. The Echo hears me more clearly because there aren't furniture or appliances between us. I've seen some wall mounts and cabinet mounts and am curious what the pro's/con's are.

Re: Check out my ceiling/wall mount
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:12:59 pm »
looks great.  wifi devices are always better at a higher point.  Now all you need is a good skin for decor purposes.   I watched the video just to see how you handled the power cable.  my landlord would kill me if I cut a hole in the ceiling.  good job. 

mountforecho

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:37:15 pm »
looks great.  wifi devices are always better at a higher point.  Now all you need is a good skin for decor purposes.   I watched the video just to see how you handled the power cable.  my landlord would kill me if I cut a hole in the ceiling.  good job.

Thanks! We somewhat fit the "minimalist" type so we don't have nightstands to put it on and everywhere it went there was an impedance of some sort. This has changed the game.

I made it with a divot on the base of the mount so the cable can instead be run out the side then covered with wire covers-depending on where a person lives running the cord through the ceiling may not be up to code or like in your case with a landlord threatening your life lol! If you do move at some point here is a listing where I've since started offering the mount: https://www.etsy.com/listing/265999953/ceiling-and-wall-mount?ref=pr_shop

Many people on Reddit wanted one so I'm trying to help out while also recouping my investment.

Cheers.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »
Just curious, how do you manufacture something like that? Did you have to go through a plastic manufacturing company? Or is this something that you have the equipment to do at home?

I have some ideas that I want to try (nothing Echo related), and was thinking about getting a 3D printer to make some prototypes. But after that, I have no idea who I can talk to and get it manufactured, or what it costs to do something like this.

mountforecho

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »
Just curious, how do you manufacture something like that? Did you have to go through a plastic manufacturing company? Or is this something that you have the equipment to do at home?

I have some ideas that I want to try (nothing Echo related), and was thinking about getting a 3D printer to make some prototypes. But after that, I have no idea who I can talk to and get it manufactured, or what it costs to do something like this.

3D printing is one of those mid-range skills that aren't hard to adapt if you're into programming. Check out Fusion 360 and some tutorials to get yourself started. A big help will be living in an area with a Makerspace-there are like minded people there that love helping. Like here, there are multiple forums for those just getting started to people that have been doing similar work forever. Buying and maintaining the machine can be a headache but once you get comfortable you can turn your imaginations into reality.

Manufacturing is a different beast. With enough tenacity and a reasonable supply of orders one person can handle a small business by themselves using 1 or 2 printers. Of course you're tasked with creating user guides, shipping, communicating with buyers, supply issues, damaged deliveries, and every unimaginable problem that arises. However, that's no deterrent to process but part of it. If you're planning to make large sales and promise short delivery dates you need to become familiar with a very special place known as Shenzhen, China. For us it was a matter of having purchased so many products on Alibaba.com and AliExpress.com that I already had many of the contacts needed and made friends that could put me in contact with the rest.

Shoot me a direct message and I'll try to help you out. We're in this to help other makers as well as the experience. There are a handful of people like yourself we've mentored a bit or just swapped ideas with. If you have something you want to work up and print we can help you accomplish that from design to delivery. I'll be happy to get you started talking to the right people so you can metabolize your ideas.

Thanks for the message!

-Alan