Echo & Alexa Forums

Confirmed issue with Google Chromecast and Google Home causes temporarily Wifi

malliekm

...Drop.  For those of you with GH and Chromecast
https://www.myce.com/news/confirmed-issue-google-cast-causes-temporarily-wifi-drops-around-world-83428/

Google Cast devices, like the Chromecast and Google Home cause temporarily Wifi dropouts for users around the world. The issue has been confirmed for routers from Asus, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Synology. In some cases the router is totally inaccessible for a while, other users report the router only temporary disconnects from the internet. TP-Link and Linksys have confirmed the issue.

mike27oct

I don't have this problem.  What am I doing wrong to miss out on this?

malliekm

I dunno.  Maybe you're using the "wrong" router.  I can't use a Chromecast device so unless this shuts down GH (as one person on reddit suggests) it doesn't affect me.

malliekm

This issue turned out to affect any casting device, not just Chromecast.  The fix was an update to Google Play SERVICES.  Latest version being 11.9.75.  It was finally pushed to me last night.  I am amazed at the difference it's made!!!  All this time I've been blaming my crappy satellite ISP and it's been a bug in GPS.  No more GHs talking over each other, no more "sorry,  there was a glitch" or "sorry, something went wrong".  The GH I'm speaking to answers and not one 30 feet away!  Replies come in 2-3 seconds instead of 10 and even GPM is working like it should.