Echo & Alexa Forums

Multiple Alexas 5,6 rooms, total confusion HELP!

sam9s

Multiple Alexas 5,6 rooms, total confusion HELP!
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:43:38 pm »
Hi All,

I am from India and I have purchased like 5 Alexa Dots for 5 rooms I have in my house, and configured truckloads of automation, from ligyts to fans to TV, AC speakers Avr....

Now I have tried to separate my room with names like master bedroom, guest bedroom, other bedroom and other room, but most of my family members get confused the name tags and what to say to alexa to switch on which room's light.....lol I know some will say this stupid, but it does create confusion.

Is there is a way remote possible, that whenever I am in any room and just say light on Alexa understanding which room the command has been issued from and switch on the light of that room only? Then when I move to other room and say the same command, alexa switchs on the lights of "that" room only since the command came from that room's alexa.

This might sound a bit far-fetched request, but I just wanted to ask if it at all is possible.

regards
Sammy

samsethi

Re: Multiple Alexas 5,6 rooms, total confusion HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »
Hi

This can be fixed easily using groups.  So create a new group for master bedroom and include all the lights  etc in that room.  But now when you create the group also inclide the Alexa in that room as part of the group.  The group will now have a label added saying Alexa enabled.  so now all you have to do is enter the room and say lights on/off without defining the name of the room you are in.  Alexa is smart enough to work out what room you are in and then the related smart devices.  It means non-tech don't need to remember the correct room syntax to make it work. 

Good luck ping me if you still need more info or help