Echo & Alexa Forums

Google Home "Screen" Device Covers the Lens When You Don't Need it

malliekm

New Google Homes with a Screen offer a physical shutter for covering the lens when you don’t need to use it (and of course You Tube accessibility)
Frankly I still don't understand the need/want for an AI with a screen.  That's what computers, smartphones and tablets are for.  Hubby will be glad a new Google Home device is coming out and I don't want it ;)

https://lifehacker.com/the-first-google-home-with-a-screen-already-offers-more-1821910986

mike27oct

Re: Google Home "Screen" Device Covers the Lens When You Don't Need it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:39:56 pm »
Agree; it sounds like an Amazon show to me.  If one has a tablet, no need for these devices.  One can take a tablet anywhere, but not these AI screens.  I would take a Dot or mini when traveling, but rather wish Alexa app could be used like a Dot (or Coocle Assistant). 

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:27 pm »
Yes, it's Google's answer to the Show.  I could set my Samsung tablet up anywhere and as long as I don't let the screen go to sleep, I can use it exactly like a GH.  And if away from home, it would do all my home automation like a GH.  After DH swore he'd never buy me a wifi thermostat, he did :)  Honeywell 9320.  He thought I'd want a Nest but I want all  that information on the screen without having to dial for it.  Plus, I can change the background color to match the month, time of year, holiday or even my outfit  ;D   8)  ::)  ;)

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
there are plenty of advantages of having an ai with a screen if you think about it.  though you can use a tablet or other devices, you would have to look for them most of the time when you need them.