Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa uses the wrong device... and much more.

Jibsman

Alexa uses the wrong device... and much more.
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:20:23 pm »
I have an Echo Plus and an Echo Dot. The Plus is in the living room. The Dot is in the bedroom. I stand next to the Plus and say Alexa... the ring pulses and stops, and the Dot in the bedroom starts talking, usually to say "I don't know..."
I am standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE PLUS. I even lower my voice, and the Dot still picks up.

This is just one of the many issues we are having with these devices. Turning on "Johns Light" and then the next time saying "I don't know Johns Light". Tell it to do something, and it just beeps and stops. Rarely does any of this show up in History, so I have no idea what this device thought I said. I did "My Voice" when I set it up.

All of this equipment is about ready to go back to Best Buy.

Re: Alexa uses the wrong device... and much more.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
has the echo plus ever worked?   if so, then unplug the dot and see if it works. 

Jibsman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:23 pm »
I will try that. I also read another article saying to change the wake word on one device. So Living Room will become "Computer" and Bedroom will remain "Alexa" and we'll see how that works.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:09:33 pm »
I do agree with that.  you do not want to use the same words for names in different devices. 

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:27:36 am »
Because the ground floor of my house is effectively in a straight line, my four are called Echo, Alexa, Echo, Alexa and rarely get confused. Sometimes two will pipe up but it's the nearest that picks up the command.