Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spot Intermittent Wifi Issues

Echolalia

Echo Spot Intermittent Wifi Issues
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:09:14 am »
Hi all:

I am having issues with my Echo Spot losing wifi connection. I have two, and both lose generally at the same time. I would chalk it up to my wifi network but what's odd is that when it happens and I go into wi-fi settings, it does not show any available network (even my neighbor's network which it always picks up) until I toggle wi-fi off and back on. When I do that, it shows all the networks and allows me to connect to my home network (until this happens again, usually once per day). I also have an original Echo and an Echo dot, neither of which have this issue.

Re: Echo Spot Intermittent Wifi Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:07:44 am »
try doing a power cycle on the router.  unplug the router for a slow 10 count then plug back in.

Echolalia

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:10:50 am »
I appreciate that suggestion, but I don't know how that will solve what seems to be the underlying issue, which is that the Echo Spot appears to lose the ability to see any wifi network until I turn wifi off and on on the spot.

I can easily reconnect the spot to my network by doing that, but when the glitch occurs, and I go into the wifi options, it doesn't show any network, including networks that aren't on my router (for example, neighbors).

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:11 pm »
sometimes some devices don't get a proper connection with the router which could be the actual underlying reason.    that is why I suggested a router  power cycle which will help if that is the problem.  remember you are here asking for help and we are not there to check out what is going on for ourselves.  though some suggestions may not make sense to you, they do work at times depending on the problem.   you gotta help us to help you by trying the different suggestions and report the results.   this is called troubleshooting...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:27:36 pm by renegade600 »

maclaird

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:33:21 pm »
Actually I have the same problem. My spot seems to drop the connection quite a bit. Many times a day when I try to access it she says sorry I am having trouble please try again later. It also does not always set off my wake up alarm which may or may not be part of the same problem. I have replaced both my router and my modem in the last few weeks. I shouldn't have to reboot my system constantly to get the spot to work.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:16:09 pm »
The problem could be your router settings. The wifi channel could be congested in your apartment. Google for information to try changing the wifi channels to less congested ones, it should help
Echo Dot @ SG

Mike echo

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:37 pm »
I had the exact same problem. What I found out was that my router was assigning the dot the same ip as another device. This caused intermittent connectivity issues on the dot. Thru my router was able to assign static ips to the dot and rock solid ever since

maclaird

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:48:07 pm »
Good suggestion. Thanks

aaron77

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:58:20 pm »
I'm having this same issue here, except I'm using mine at a business so the setup is a little different.  The problem isn't with any wifi routers, it's the Echo Spot itself.  I've only had mine up and running for a couple of days and each time I left it overnight I found it losing the wifi connection and can't see any SSIDs, even a couple of wifi printers. 

I'm testing out this Alexa for Business thing so hopefully Amazon can fix issues like this because while it's not a big deal if it was just my personal device, an end user would scream holy hell if they could no longer listen to Spotify on their echo lol

My quick solution is just to turn off the wifi on the spot itself and turn it back on.  It seems to reconnect right away.  But definitely something Amazon needs to fix.

this_guy1998

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »
It ticks me off because Amazon replaced my Spot and I still have issues with the WiFi dropping. At home it was working fine, but here at school it constantly drops and I can't change the wifi settings because I don't manage it. My tap works fine though, so I don't know.

Amazon needs to do is fix the wifi to reset the wifi if it drops or something like that.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:29 pm »
At home it was working fine, but here at school it constantly drops

Amazon needs to do is fix the wifi to reset the wifi if it drops or something like that.
Sounds to me like it's your school's wi-fi that is the problem not Amazon's.  It's possible your school's wi-fi has some sort of interference that your home does not. 
Have you checked around school for anyone else who has a Spot having the same problem as yourself?

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »
People, having a decent wi-fi connection is the biggest complaint regarding wireless gadgets.  The problem's cause is hardly ever with the gadget. it is with the wi-fi signal itself or it's environment.  Just because one gadget works fine in one location doesn't mean it (or another device) will work well in another location.

In the case of Alexa devices, they can be all over a house, so connecting them to the 2.4G signal gives greater range than the 5G signal. All my many Alexa devices are are all connected to 2.4G.

You folks with poor wi-fi experience need to find out why you have this issue.  Google for articles about wi-fi issues and how to improve them.  Here is a link to one of many such articles. Most people don't understand how wi-fi really works.

.https://www.cnet.com/how-to/common-wi-fi-problems-and-how-to-fix-them/

Offline jwlv

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:10 pm »
To add on to what mike27oct is saying, if you live in a densely populated area, your neighbors could be causing some of your WiFi issues.

In the neighborhood where I used to live, all the houses are around 1200-1600 sq ft with each house on a 1/8 acre lot. And I didn't even have neighbors behind me because it's just undeveloped dirt.  So I didn't think it was all that densely populated. But after using a WiFi analyzer app, I found out that the WiFi signal was very, very crowded. Not only were every neighbor's WiFi routers jamming everyone else's, there were dozens of WiFi printers, security cameras, doorbells, DVR's and every other kind of device you can imagine. Even if your router is not hopping channels and your WiFi signal is pretty solid today, your neighbor's router can hop right to your channel and diminish your signal the next day. If you live in an apartment building with dozens or hundreds of units, FORGET ABOUT IT! You might as well get WiFi extenders with hardwired Ethernet and put your Echo (or other device) right next to it.

As an example, let's say your router is on channel 6. Your neighbor happens to be on channel 6 as well. But for now, everything is working just fine since your devices are a lot closer to your router than your neighbor's router. When your neighbor comes home from work, he walks around the house with his iPhone. His iPhone is connected to channel 6 of his router. Everything is still fine at your house. At the end of the night, he puts his cell phone down next to the window to get a better cell signal and that window happens to be adjacent to your window. With his cell phone using channel 6 in close proximity to you, your channel 6 is now diminished. As you can see, this would cause intermittent problems with your WiFi. If your neighbors have lots of people in his house, every one of those people could be moving around with their mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) that can potentially diminish your WiFi signal. Also keep in mind that laptop and desktop computers tend to have stronger WiFi antennas that can affect you more negatively. But luckily most laptops/desktops will go into standby mode (sleep) when it's not in use. Again, this would cause intermittent problems for you.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:53:28 am by jwlv »